No announcement yet.

High Income Salary $170K - Passed the means test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depressed...I actually have been thinking the same thing. Attorneys make more money on the Ch 13 so they do not really have an incentive to keep you in a Ch 7. When I did the means test it showed about $200 negative but maybe I was doing something wrong. The man I met with really did not even look at anything but our income and said we would be Ch 13 but he could change it later (for a fee) to a Ch 7.

Benz...when you are talking about subtracting secured debt for cars, boats, homes etc....would a motorbike that is a secured debt be in that category? I am wondering because the attorney I met with said that we would have to turn it in to the finance company...not allowed to keep it in a Ch 13. We owe slightly more on it than it is worth but wouldn't it be in the same category as a boat?

Onthebrink...I am with you...if there is any way at all I can do this with settling that is my preference but probably a lofty goal. I am also worried about having to pay income tax on the forgiven debt on the 1099. I just found this info online:

Taxpayers may qualify for one of several exclusions that allow them to reduce taxable income from canceled debts. If the exclusions apply, they must file an IRS form 982 in addition to the 1099-C.

"Theoretically, you have income if you don't meet one of the exceptions," says Eric L. Green, a tax attorney with the Convicer & Percy law firm in Glastonbury, Conn.

The exclusions include debts discharged during bankruptcy and debts of consumers who are insolvent (meaning their liabilities exceed their assets) prior to the cancellation of debt. However, the exclusion applies only up to the amount by which consumers are insolvent. That means if $5,000 in debts were forgiven and liabilities exceeded assets by $2,000, then the $2,000 would be excluded as income. "The remaining $3,000 would be reported under other income," says H&R Block's Flores.

Comment

i found this old thread... and see the OP had a 170k income...and passed the means test. I've met with one lawyer in person, and did a means test over the phone with another... both said they didn't think I could do a 7.

i make 140k/year
      only majoor secured expenses are mortgage and two cars. mortgage is 2200/month. cars are 1000/month combined... I have health insurance costs, life insurance costs, the usual living expenses..

the lawyer commented that my house and car paymewnts were low enough and had I bought more expensive stuff I would have met the means test. the lawyer put my numbers into her computer and it said I had about $1000 disposable per month...

does anyone go out and buy two expensive cars before BK??? it seems almost unfair that b/c I bought more moderate priced cars I can't get into a 7, but if I had a 7 series and a 911 I would... i'm confused....

do people go out and increase their secured debt to get into a 7? i don't even know if that would make sense...

Comment

Originally posted by curiousbk View Post
        i found this old thread... and see the OP had a 170k income...and passed the means test. I've met with one lawyer in person, and did a means test over the phone with another... both said they didn't think I could do a 7.

i make 140k/year
        only majoor secured expenses are mortgage and two cars. mortgage is 2200/month. cars are 1000/month combined... I have health insurance costs, life insurance costs, the usual living expenses..

the lawyer commented that my house and car paymewnts were low enough and had I bought more expensive stuff I would have met the means test. the lawyer put my numbers into her computer and it said I had about $1000 disposable per month...

does anyone go out and buy two expensive cars before BK??? it seems almost unfair that b/c I bought more moderate priced cars I can't get into a 7, but if I had a 7 series and a 911 I would... i'm confused....

do people go out and increase their secured debt to get into a 7? i don't even know if that would make sense...
        The thread is well over a year old, but just in case you missed it, here is a link to where you explained in more detail your situation and the responses: http://www.bkforum.com/showthread.ph...o-get-into-a-7

Your problem isn't car payments (low or high) it's with the $1000 per month student loan payment that isn't used as an expense.
        Filed Chapter 13 02/2006 - Confirmed 05/2006 - Discharged 09/2011
        I'm not an attorney. My replies are merely suggestions or observations, not legal advice. As always, consult with an attorney before making any decisions.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X