Final Check Received, Now What?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Final Check Received, Now What?

I contacted our attorney today. they recieved our final payment yesterday. She stated it will now take 4 to 6 weeks until the petition is ready. Does this time frame sound right?

Congrats on getting final payment to your attorney.

About how long it will take to file, it could be anywhere from a few hours to a few weeks. Here is the link the the question you had asked earlier about the time frame (in case you couldn't fine it). The answers would be true today as they were then.

Best of luck.
    Last edited by NoMoreCards; 03-02-2010, 11:02 AM. Reason: formating
    8-07-09-filed Chapter 7
    11-18-09-DISCHARGED!!

Life is not what challenges you face, but how you face those challenges.

Comment

Our filing packet was ready a week from when we turned in the information. We came in and reviewed it and they filed the next day. We were filed less than two weeks after we gave him the payment.
      Wife Laid off - 11/16/2009 Missed First Payments - 12/5/2009
      Filed Chap 7 - 12/31/2009
      341 - 2/12/2010
      Discharged - 4/19/2010

Comment

It just depends on how busy your attorney is and when it will be best for you to file based on your individual situation.

We paid our retainer and scheduled our review appointment for 2 weeks later (his first available opening). That appt lasted 2 hours, 1 hour with the paralegal inputting all our info, and then 1 hour with the attorney going over all the paperwork. At the end of the appt, he printed out the petition and schedules for us to sign. However, we didn't actually file until the end of the month because we had to spend down our tax refund and get our "cash on hand" below $1100. After all was said and done, we were filed within 30 days of retaining him.

So, really, it can be done within a couple of hours. BUT, again, it depends on how busy your attorney is, and whether or not you need to file ASAP.
        Filed Chapter 13 on 2-28-10. 341 completed 4/14/10. Confirmed 5/14/10. Lien strip granted 2/2/11
        0% payback to unsecured creditors, 56 payments down, 4 to go....

Comment

Our first consult told us that timeline. I didn't like that answer, among other answers she gave us, so we met with another attorney.

Our attorney got all the info from me, including payment, and we went home to take the CCC. I called and set up the next appt to sign the petition and was able to set an appt the following week. We signed and filed the same day.
          attorney consult and decided to file, 02/15/2010
          no-asset Chapter 7 filed, 03/11/2010
          341, 05/10/2010
          discharged, 07/13/2010

Comment

My question for all of you is now that you made your final payment and are waiting for your petitions do you know what Chapter you are filing? We were told at our first consult that we could be a Chapter 7 but that wasn't official. Is it normal to not know what Chapter yet until you get your petition? We have a deadline for the 18th for our petition to be done and we are waiting to find out something!!!

Comment

We were told during each consult that we most likely qualified for a no-asset Chapter 7. Unless you're on the borderline for the means test I don't know why they wouldn't tell you one or the other.
              attorney consult and decided to file, 02/15/2010
              no-asset Chapter 7 filed, 03/11/2010
              341, 05/10/2010
              discharged, 07/13/2010

Comment

Our lawyer took payments. We had to pay our filing fee before we filed. Than we made payments to the lawyer. We actually gave the lawyer the last payment at our 341 meeting.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X