Below Median, can't afford Lawyer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Below Median, can't afford Lawyer

My income is $2500 per month....$30K in credit card debt that I simply couldnt keep up with after my fiance and I broke up. I am living alone in my home, it has no equity. Had a few consults with local attorneys and the lowest I have been able to find is $1500 one time payment or $400 per month for their legal services....and I cannot afford it. What are my options? Pro Se is my leading possibilty, but I read where there are some ways to get free legal services when filing bankruptcy. Any help would be great.

Most people in your shoes stop making credit card payments and put that money aside to pay the attorney.
    This isn't legal advice. It is just informational based on my experiences through the process, and some of the lessons I've learned.

Comment

Originally posted by rpertusio View Post
      Most people in your shoes stop making credit card payments and put that money aside to pay the attorney.
      That's the absolute truth and the best thing to do. If you are absolutely sure you are filing for BK, there is no reason to continue to pay those bills that you wish to discharge.

It may (probably will) become uncomfortable. If I hadn't stopped paying creditors 8+ months prior to filing, I would not have been able to retain an attorney. I wouldn't have been able to eat either. You have to decide what you need to do in order to take care of yourself.

ep
      California Bankruptcy Central

Comment

^^^ That's exactly what I did. Attorney was kind enough to accept low monthly payments. You're not alone Falcon... sorry about the breakup and look forward to the future.
        Broke in Paradise
        Filed: 2/2010
        341: 3/19/2010
        Discharged: 05/11/2010

Comment

i had to stop making my credit cards payments so i could make payments to my lawyer.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X