top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long between first consult and filing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long between first consult and filing?

I feel that our attorney has not been proactive about our filing but I am not sure if I am being unreasonable about it. We originally were interacting with an assistant attorney but are trying to keep the lead attorney involved.

Here are the basic events:

End of April - Our first consult with the assistant attorney and decision to file. Retainer paid.

End of April, first week of May - Provided additional documents based on April meeting.

Third week of MayEnd of MayEnd of MayBeginning of June Mid JuneThis week

Originally posted by angles View Post
    I feel that our attorney has not been proactive about our filing but I am not sure if I am being unreasonable about it. We originally were interacting with an assistant attorney but are trying to keep the lead attorney involved.

Here are the basic events:

End of April - Our first consult with the assistant attorney and decision to file. Retainer paid.

End of April, first week of May - Provided additional documents based on April meeting.

Third week of MayEnd of MayEnd of MayBeginning of June Mid JuneThis week
    I would trade you if that gives any idea about my experience. There are record filings right now I think so you have to keep that in mind. Response times are delayed and good bk attorneys have lots of work. If you are some guys only client and he can give you all the attention in the world, you are probably not with the right guy or gal. So, it's very much a double edged sword.

Just know that you will care about your case more than anyone else. You need to stay on top of it and pester them. At least that has been my experience. I am still months away form filing, but I have had to be very aggressive in demanding attention and planning.

I would say it's fair that your experience is less than ideal, but in my experience I would say it's pretty much the norm given the amount of filing's at least in my area. I had to wait 2 weeks just for the initial consultation at the firm I selected. They were booked until then.

Anyway, good luck!

Comment

We sought attorneys (free consults) in mid-April. We were filed in mid-May. We had our 341 (creditor's meeting) today (mid-June.)

Unless your case is very complicated, I would personally say that it is being drawn out much further than it has to be.

- rp
      This isn't legal advice. It is just informational based on my experiences through the process, and some of the lessons I've learned.

Comment

During the last week of April I started interviewing attorneys. Decided on which attorney to hire two weeks later. I was able to give a deposit mid-June and am planning on turning in my documents on Monday.

My attorney told me it would take 4 - 6 weeks to file from the time I retained her. I thought that was a little long, but given that she is a solopreneur, I think it is worth the wait since I always get to work directly with an attorney.

Good to luck to you.
        Filed Chapter 7 on July 30, 2010
        341 scheduled for August 26, 2010 - Done! - Report of No Distribution
        Discharged!!! - November 15, 2010

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X