Question: Is DMI -$13 going to be OK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question: Is DMI -$13 going to be OK

My DMI came out to -13 on the means test. My lawyer think it will be ok, but said that the UST may want to look into it, because we are also very close on the median income test. We are below, but only by a couple of hundred per month.

Does anyone see any issues, or is it really as my lawyer says...just preparing for a remote possibility?
    Retained Lawyer: June 28 Filed Chapter 7: July 8 341 Meeting: August 16

if your DMI is less than $169 then you are good. the only thing is are your listed expenses are justifiable? if they are you are clear to go to 7
    This Forum is better than any lawyer I met.

Comment

They are justifiable. We could probably bring that number down even more if we really tried. Thanks for the reassurance.
      Retained Lawyer: June 28 Filed Chapter 7: July 8 341 Meeting: August 16

Comment

Originally posted by chriselle View Post
        if your DMI is less than $169 then you are good. the only thing is are your listed expenses are justifiable? if they are you are clear to go to 7
        $169 is the magic number? I heard it was $100???
        Retained lawyer 5/18/10
        Stopped paying CC 5/21/10
        Looking to File Ch7 in July, once we pay the Atty

Comment

That's weird. Our attorney (who we have only met with once) said we didn't have to take the means test since we are under the median (and not really that much under either). We live in in Vancouver, Washington, FYI

Comment

Originally posted by chriselle View Post
            Does anyone know if paying back your 401K monthly qualifies as a listed expense in determining your DMI
            Chapter 7 filed 11/4/10 ---- 341 Meeting 12/1/10 ---- Discharge 1/31/2011.

Comment

Originally posted by Fallonedward View Post
              Does anyone know if paying back your 401K monthly qualifies as a listed expense in determining your DMI
              I've been told no.
              04/01/10 - Hit rock bottom and knew we were going to have to file for bankruptcy and surrender our home. 12/14/10 - Filed Chapter 7, 02/09/11 - 341 Hearing, 04/14/11 -

Comment

Doesn't count in chapter 7.

HOWEVER, if that is the ONLY expenses that pushes you over, then you can stay in chapter 7. Reason being, the 401K loan is an allowed expense for a chapter 13. So if the choice is chapter 7 or a zero payment chapter 13, the courts will allow you to stay in a chapter 7.

If you are under median, you do not do the DMI portion of the Means test. However, you must still show an inability to pay back creditors on schedule I & J. (income and expenses).

However, if you are slightly over median and your DMI is only barely negative, it doesn't take much for the UST to push it over. So, you need to make sure your expenses are really in line, and justifiable.

Comment

Originally posted by HHM View Post

HOWEVER, if that is the ONLY expenses that pushes you over, then you can stay in chapter 7. Reason being, the 401K loan is an allowed expense for a chapter 13. So if the choice is chapter 7 or a zero payment chapter 13, the courts will allow you to stay in a chapter 7.

If you are under median, you do not do the DMI portion of the Means test. However, you must still show an inability to pay back creditors on schedule I & J. (income and expenses).

However, if you are slightly over median and your DMI is only barely negative, it doesn't take much for the UST to push it over. So, you need to make sure your expenses are really in line, and justifiable.
                  My income falls in the family of 3 amount and we are a family of 5 so I'm way under. I have a negative DMI but if I take out the $630 401K repayment I have a positive DMI of $301. So does everyone think I should be fine for the 7 then

Comment

My income falls in the family of 3 amount and we are a family of 5 so I'm way under. I have a negative DMI but if I take out the $630 401K repayment I have a positive DMI of $301. So does everyone think I should be fine for the 7 then
                    You are under the median. I wouldn't lose sleep over it you will be fine.
                    Filed: 6-7-2010 341: 7-15-2010 DISCHARGED: 9/17/2010

Comment

Originally posted by nc73 View Post
                      You are under the median. I wouldn't lose sleep over it you will be fine.

Comment

I'm also 10k under and trustee didn't argue any expenses. I don't know by how much but I was positive dmi. I didn't care to look because my lawyer said it was going to be ok and he was right! Didn't get asked for my bank statements either at the 341. Actually never needed any bank statements during filing.
                        Filed: 6-7-2010 341: 7-15-2010 DISCHARGED: 9/17/2010

Comment

Originally posted by HHM View Post

I know that 401K repayment is not used on the means test, but where do you deduct the 401K repayment on the schedules? Does it come off the income, schedule I, or listed as an expense under schedule J?

Comment

Originally posted by nc73 View Post
                            I'm also 10k under and trustee didn't argue any expenses. I don't know by how much but I was positive dmi. I didn't care to look because my lawyer said it was going to be ok and he was right! Didn't get asked for my bank statements either at the 341. Actually never needed any bank statements during filing.
                            That is really good to hear, my teenage boys eat like they have hollow legs and we are driving very far distances to other states for interviews and that gas adds up fast

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X