Acquiring Assets Mid Bankruptcy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acquiring Assets Mid Bankruptcy?

I am in ch.7 Bankruptcy awaiting a continuation of my 341 meeting. There is a new developement in the spendthrift Trust which I am 1/3 beneficiary of. The trustee of the Trust and all beneficiaries might be agreeing to terminate the Trust. Of course sense its a spendthrift trust this will take a court hearing and the consent of the trust trustee and all beneficiaries. There is a house I will get 1/3 title of and possibly and some tens of thousands of dollars I would acquire.
    Should I inform my BR trustee of this even though it may be months away and is pending a court decision. My guess is yes.
    I know these assets except for the house would become part of the BR estate, but what happens if I acquire assets during bankruptcy that exceed my dischargeable debt? Will they give me back the extra money that is not applied to discharged debt? or try to roshambo it?
    Perhaps I should try to convert to chapter 13 with this new developement.
    Does anyone know how this might play out in my bankruptcy?
    Any feedback is appreciated.

Unless you filed pro se you need to start with your attorney.

If your trust distribution might exceed all your dischargeable debt, I think you may be able to dismiss the BK at any time up to grant of discharge. So I wouldn't rush to the Trustee with this, it's speculative. But if it becomes less speculative at some point you'll definitely need to disclose.
    Chapter 7 Filed 8/11/2009, Discharged 11/23/2009

Comment

Blog post about trusts and potential exposure.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X