*Who* Actually Does the Means Test?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*Who* Actually Does the Means Test?

Is it done with the information from Schedules I and J?

Is it done in your 341?

LOL, my mind is blown and I am not sure I know now or knew then.

We met with an attorney Thursday for a consult. He was nice, smart and was the person in the partnership who attends the 341 Meeting with the debtor(s). I presume this is why he does the consults since he knows what the Trustee is looking for and can best answer your 'do we qualify for' questions because of that knowledge.

He wasn't worried about my having used credit cards fairly recently (like an auto-charge for some subscription posted just last Monday) since I was still making payments and it was for groceries and utilities.

I honestly did not think BK was even an option for us (because of all the rumors and lack of knowledge over BK laws) until I landed here Tuesday evening - sleepless from mentally trying to "balance the budget" for the month. Thursday afternoon after the first consult was the first time in months that my chest hasn't hurt and I am sure it was due to the very real possibility of relief.

Everyone here is very kind. Thank you in advance to anyone who can answer the question.
    ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
    Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

I ran through the means test myself before we filed to see if we qualified for chapter 7. I just googled and found one online for my state. Then the attorney did the official filing paperwork with our petition.
    Filed Chapter 7 - 06/30/2010
    Discharged - 11/18/2010
    Closed - 12/22/2010

Comment

The attorney will do the means test with the information you provide. The means test and schedules I & J are two different animals.

Comment

Originally posted by SunshineGal View Post
        The attorney will do the means test with the information you provide. The means test and schedules I & J are two different animals.
        Thank you both for the info. There are just so many minute facets to this process in the beginning and as I said, they are blurring in my mind. This 'noob' appreciates the help and patience.
        ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
        Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

Hi ValleYum,

He wasn't worried about my having used credit cards fairly recently (like an auto-charge for some subscription posted just last Monday) since I was still making payments and it was for groceries and utilities.

So far, so good. Making small charges for legit expenses is not going to raise an issue, esp. with making the payments, that shows 'good faith effort' Is a regular at 341's, sounding even better....

first time in months that my chest hasn't hurt and I am sure it was due to the very real possibility of relief.

Glad you have had a taste of the 'fresh start' ...hang on, it is a heck of a ride but lots of folks here to cheer you on!

Tom in Colo
          Ch7 filed 5/12/2010.....341 meeting 6/30/2010....report of no distribution 8/15/2010.....discharged 10/01/2010.....closed 11/09/2010

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X