top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Debtor education course: now or after 341?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Debtor education course: now or after 341?

I know I need to take an education course before my debt can be discharged. I thought I had once read that the course was to be taken after the 341 meeting. But now I can't find where I read that.

So can I get my course out of the way and take it before my 341 or do I need to wait?
    Filed Ch 7 pro se Oct 2010 . Filed student loan AP pro se Feb 2011 . Discharged Feb 2011 . AP trial 1/10/2012 . $28K in student loans dismissed Jan 2012 . ECMC appealed. Appeal hearing 7/2012. Original judgment upheld 9/2012.

I took mine prior to the 341, but the attorney wasn't able to add it to my docket until after the 341. Hope this helps.
    Filed Chapter 7 on July 30, 2010
    341 scheduled for August 26, 2010 - Done! - Report of No Distribution
    Discharged!!! - November 15, 2010

Comment

You can take the debtor education course at any time after filing your petition. If you file chapter 7, you must file the certificate within 45 days after your 341 at the latest. Chapter 13 you technically have until the final payment is paid, but it's always best to get it out of the way.
      Filed pro se, made it through the 341, discharged, Closed!!!

Comment

We took ours within the week after the 341.
        "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Please take it as soon as possible, but file it at the last minute. I read a case where someone was in an auto accident and was able to file those medical bills since they hadn't filed their certificates yet. I don't know if that's true or not, but just thought I would mention it. What ever you do, please don't forget to do it. I did and my case originally closed without a discharge. I had to pay an additional $260, have the case re-open, wait 2 weeks for any creditors to object, and then the case was closed.
          It took an additional month to get everything done, plus it cost me more money. We were relocating and completely forgot about it.

Comment

We took ours three weeks prior to 341 and it was uploaded to our docket within 24 hours. No problems here.
            Stopped paying: 08/10, Filed CH7: 08/27/10 , 341 & No Asset Report: 10/6/10, Last day to object: 12/06/10, Discharged: 12/07/10, Closed: 12/08/10
            AHEM.....NOT AN ATTORNEY, NOT ADVICE, ETC, ETC

Comment

We just had our 341 today, and I plan on taking it in a few weeks.
              I may be smarter than an attorney, but I'm not one. No legal advice here, people.
              Filed Ch. 7 pro se on 10/22/10 341 on 11/19/10 Report of No Distribution Filed on 11/19/10 Discharged 1/19/11 Closed 2/2/11

Comment

Hi all,

The course certificate has to be filed w/ the court by 45 days after the 341, so leave a little time for it to get filed.

Tom in Colo
                Ch7 filed 5/12/2010.....341 meeting 6/30/2010....report of no distribution 8/15/2010.....discharged 10/01/2010.....closed 11/09/2010

Comment

I agree...just to get it done sooner than later...I filed 11/12/10 and my 341 meeting is not until the end of Dec...but I plan on completing the last course before the meeting...

Comment

I guess the best timing of the certificate depends on your location. My attorney wanted me to complete the course before the 341. My certificate has been filed already - my 341 is not scheduled for another couple of weeks.

Comment

My attorney said to take it roughly 2 weeks after filing so it's before the 341, but well after records of my case being filed are all synched up through the courts system, etc. so there is no issue. I plan to take mine end of next week, about 10-11 days after my filing date.
                      Ch7 no asset Filed 11/23 341 12/21 discharged: 2/22/11 I am soooo totally not a lawyer, but i wish i had married one! Does that count for anything?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X