Feeling Good...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feeling Good...

I met with an attorney yesterday and retained her. I am 100% sure that I am going to file bankruptcy. My last credit card payment that I will ever, ever, ever make went through yesterday (before I met with the lawyer). I am no longer paying credit card payments and my husband and I had a great time cutting them up into little tiny bits yesterday. My attorney prepared me for the calls and told me just to give them her name and number.

The strange thing is - I feel SO good. I am actually excited about planning a budget. It is much easier once you remove the credit card payments and much more realistic.

My sister's bridal shower is on Saturday and I'm looking forward to being able to buy her a small gift without feeling the guilt that I should be saving that money for a credit card payment.

I am also looking forward to taking my cats to the vet and not feeling guilty about paying for that preventative visit/shots instead of paying a credit card.

I am so thankful that I finally made this decision. I am also thankful for the advice and support I've gotten here.

Now - I just have to finish the paperwork! Wow! Lots of details.

movian,

congrats for retaining the attorney and starting the process. you will feel even better after filing. the calls for me, stopped about a week after filing. what a relief that was. the 341 meeting for me, only lasted 5 minutes, which i've read is pretty normal. 82 days later, i received my discharge letter. Best wishes to you.

mike

Comment

Feels so good......... Congratulations!
      All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
      Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Congrats on finding a lawyer you like!!! We are just starting the process too. I am a bit nervous, and dreading all the paperwork, but it feels good to be able to buy decent food (been living on rice and beans for awhile!!!). My cats will be going to the vet soon too, they won't like it, but I will

Comment

Funny, just this morning (day after Thanksgiving) I was listening to Michael Buble's version of Nina Simone's "Feeling Good". LOL. Congrats.
          Filed August 20 341 on September 23 Report of No Distribution - September 24 Case Discharged and Closed on November 23!!!

Comment

It is a wonderful feeling, isn't it? We have also just begun this journey. It was nice to go and do some serious grocery shopping. My kids acted like it was Christmas when I returned from the store! The weird thing is for the first time in FOREVER, I don't have a credit card for Xmas shopping. It's a good thing though since that's what got us here in the first place!

Have a great black Friday everyone! I am going to stay home and not spend money that I don't have. lol

Lynda

Comment

Good for you, shrews. Last weekend I bought a coat after growing tired of the one I've had for 12 years. I don't not much to show for all the spending that got me in trouble. It's funny. I think I'll have more to show with my own cash. Also, I had to walk through a mall this morning to get to work. I looked the other way. LOL.
              Filed August 20 341 on September 23 Report of No Distribution - September 24 Case Discharged and Closed on November 23!!!

Comment

Awesome! The feeling of having money from not making CC payments is incredible. I admit to being somewhat opposite of you when I first started. I was sick to my stomach for the first week of not paying, but it passed, and now I have actual honest-to-god money. I can pay my rent, electric, water, phone, car, insurance, and cable and STILL have money. I have not been able to say that for well over a decade now, and words cannot describe that feeling.

Congratulations to you, and please keep us all posted.
                Decided on Chapter 7: October 13, 2010; Retained Attorney: October 20, 2010; Filed Chapter 7: February 4, 2011; 341 Meeting: March 23, 2011; Discharged: May 24, 2011

Comment

I remember the day I retained my lawyer - I was just going there to ask questions and "maybe" retain them. I was sold on their vast knowledge of bankruptcy law and professionalism, so I retained them right then and there (I had shopped around and had horrible experiences with other bk lawyers). We started going through my paperwork and filling things out. I had brought a huge briefcase of all of my medical bills, credit cards, mortgage, boat, auto notes, etc...

When the paralegal told me to STOP Paying all of my unsecured debt, I couldnt help it - I developed a huge smile and almost started giggling!! The paralegal smiled too and said "bet you like that part, huh!". lol.

Congrats on retaining your bk lawyer. Keep your chin up - it does get rocky and nervracking at some points. My 341 meeting put me on the edge of a nervous breakdown. It was like cresting the top of a mountain and knowing there will be another side, but not knowing what was there.

All in all, Im so glad I filed bk when I did. I lost 40% of my income during my bk filing. I have no debt now. It will be 2 years in April and I actually have a savings account, bought a boat for cash, live in a rental house right on the lake (its amazing), AND have gotten my income back (was laid off). Good Luck and use this site for what its worth - it helped me through my ordeal!!
                  Retained bk7 laywer 8-12-08, Filed 12-22, 341 Meeting Scheduled 1-29-09
                  Discharged 4-17-09!!!
                  Reason for filing: Medical, NOT irresponsibility with credit.
                  "Sometimes you have to fall before you fly"

Comment

And the news gets even better! I got a notice in the mail today that my husband's unemployment has been extended for an addition six weeks. I thought he was done with it for good. Woot!

Comment

Movian, can I ask what attorney you chose? I also live in Washington and my husband and I are meeting with our first attorney tomorrow re: Ch. 7. My friend, who previously filed bk, said we should meet with a few attorneys until we find one that we like. Just wondering if you could give a recommendation?

And congrats on the unemployment extension! I'm waiting for the same news myself. Mine will run out in 3 weeks unless Congress acts to extend it, hence the Ch. 7 consideration. If it is extended or I happen to get a job soon, that will just give us more time to complete the counseling and have the money to pay the attorney, but I think we will likely still file. Our debt is so large that it would take us forever to get out from under it. And like you said, I would actually feel a sense of relief to get rid of our debt. I can tell you, it would completely change our lives! We just got married 3 weeks ago, so it would definitely make things much happier for us. We have learned our lesson with credit! We will also have fun cutting them up into tiny bits!

Good luck to you Movian! I'll be interested to hear how your bk goes, since you're in the same state as I am.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X