Taxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taxes

Question: was discharged in Nov. Stopped paying on IRS installment plan while in bankruptcy and did not receive any notice from IRS prior to discharge. Still owe $800. Received in mail today a notice that a certified letter from IRS is waiting for me at post office. Does anyone have any idea what it could be? Can't sleep and haven't felt like this since right before I filed.
    Filed Chapter 7 on Friday the 13th!, 341 9/10/10 . TT's report of no distribution 9/13/10 DAMN STRAIGHT! Case Closed! 11/19/10 "Our long national nightmare is over".

Well, you probably still owe the IRS. Do you know if your taxes were dischargeable? If not, you need to restart the payment plan or pay them.

Comment

I do still owe the money because the taxes were for last year. Should I have continued to pay them prior to discharge? I knew I would have to take care of it I just have never received a certified letter before and hadn't realized how sensitive I have become. At what point do they file a tax lien? Is being in bankruptcy a good excuse for missing payments?
      Filed Chapter 7 on Friday the 13th!, 341 9/10/10 . TT's report of no distribution 9/13/10 DAMN STRAIGHT! Case Closed! 11/19/10 "Our long national nightmare is over".

Comment

Just CALL the irs, and get back on a payment plan, no big deal. They are not likely to file a lien over $800.

Comment

I know how you feel about those certified letters. I have not received one in a few years but for a while I was getting them regularly. NOT a fun thing going to the post office, wondering who was sending me the nastygram.
          Filed Ch 7 Pro Se 11-18-2010 341 Meeting 12-16-2010 Discharged 2-15-2011
          New Job 7-2011

Comment

Hi anon,

From posts I have read, the IRS is good about backing off during a BK, they are undoubtedly starting the payments back up.

Tom in Colo
            Ch7 filed 5/12/2010.....341 meeting 6/30/2010....report of no distribution 8/15/2010.....discharged 10/01/2010.....closed 11/09/2010

Comment

Update: I picked up the letter and it was a 10 day notice for "intent to levy". I pulled together every penny and just paid it off. I'm glad it's over! Merry Christmas!

Comment

Great that you could pay it off! I have received one of those letters before and just called IRS and got an installment payment plan. I posted a question regarding payments on a new thread. It must feel good to have it paid off though. Merry Christmas!!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X