top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Difference Between Discharged and Closed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Difference Between Discharged and Closed?

So we had our 341, report of no distribution , next deadline set in Pacer is "Objection to Discharge Due" for 3/15/2011. So I get that assuming that date passes we should be discharged (correct?). Where I am puzzled is I see people post "Yay Discharged!" but then some "Discharged and Closed" what's the difference? And what stands in the way of being just discharged to being discharged and closed?

Thanks as always for your help! You guys are making this so much more bearable!
    Last edited by winterheart; 02-04-2011, 10:14 AM.

I am wanting the same information. I was discharged yesterday but I have this feeling it does not mean much. I guess I am waiting to be closed. From what I have learned since yesterday is my debt is discharged but the trustee has until the case is closed to claim assets. There is a chance he can come after one of our vehicles and our tools from our closed business.

Comment

Here is a thread with an explanation by HHM that clarifies the difference: http://www.bkforum.com/showthread.ph...-Clarification
      Filed pro se, made it through the 341, discharged, Closed!!!

Comment

Thanks free2breathe!! Exactly what I was looking for. 38 more days to go. Can't get here quick enough!

Comment

Hi all,

Do the happy dance when you get discharged...you are off the hook for any liability.

If you are an asset case, the trustee has to deal with claims, liquidating the assets, distributing the proceeds, taking his cut, making his final report...could take a year or more.

No-asset cases just need the trustees final report, they might be behind in their paperwork, and then the court clerk has to pack up the file and close it, they might be behind too. And no asset closings are exactly high-priority so they can get put on the back burner.

After awhile, politely check w/ the trustee and/or court clerk as a gentle reminder.

Tom in Colo
          Ch7 filed 5/12/2010.....341 meeting 6/30/2010....report of no distribution 8/15/2010.....discharged 10/01/2010.....closed 11/09/2010

Comment

So glad I found this thread. I was discharged last week on the 17th and just managed to work myself into a tizzy because my case hasn't closed. This is the second time one of HHM's posts has stopped me from panicking!
            A fresh start is a beautiful thing. And I'm not an attorney, just opinionated!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X