Can I go back to my old bank now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I go back to my old bank now?

SO, I guess I have one more question for folks here...and the recent cross collateralization thread reminded me to ask.

I ORIGINALLY had a checking acct with Chase. I had a mortgage and CC with them so I switched to US Bank before filing. Then right AFTER filing I remembered I had an affiliated CC from a US Bank related company. It wasnt US Bank directly, but rather ELAN financial. To be safe, I opened up yet ANOTHER acct with a local bank to have my check direct deposited etc. without fear. Problem was since I opened the last account AFTER filing, they would not give me a Debit card (they soft pull credit since it is a VISA logo card). This has been a pain! No ATM or Debit OR credit cards!

I did not however ever close the US Bank account and have kept a little money in it (never more than a few hundred bucks), and used the Debit Card for this and that, but I never had a lot of money in it and didnt direct deposit to this account.

My question is, now that the CC debt has been discharged, does anyone see any reason I should not go back to putting more money in the US Bank acct? They never closed the acct, and as I said...I have been using it sparingly. It would just be so much more convenient to go back to the US bank acct...it is closer to my house and I already have a VISA logo debit card.

Anyone see any risks at this point doing so?

Thanks.

After the debt has been discharged there is no legal way for a bank to seize your funds. Frankly, since the deposit bank and the credit card bank were only affiliated - not the same exact entity - the chances of seizure were very low to begin with, but I fully support your decision to be safe rather than sorry.

As of now, I believe you are in the clear.

FYI - I received an offer from Chase this week to open a checking acct and receive a $150 deposit from them, just as long as I make a minimum deposit and keep it in the bank for 6 months. Tempting...tempting...but I did not reaffirm my mortgage with them and am about to stiff them on a $670k mortgage when we walk next month.

Methinks the banks are scrambling for deposits. You heard it here first - BofA will need major government assistance to stay afloat, and Chase isn't far behind.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X