Allowable Pet Expense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Allowable Pet Expense

We just inherited a dog and need to know the allowable expense for pet care on chapter 7. Thanks in advance for the info.

I would think that $150.00 per month should do it. In fact, that amount is probably a little light, if you consider the food, monthly flea control, etc.

We had to give a dollar value for our pets (three cats--all rescued strays), so we gave a value of $1.00 each. We were NOT asked the amount of care it took for them.
    "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

My attorney asked me about pet costs, (food, vet bills, etc.) and listed them as an expense. I just figured out the total for a year and divided by 12. I don't remember the amount, but I'm sure it varies by the size of the animal.

Comment

I don't remember having to answer this question. However, all three cats were 'fixed' at the time we filed, and only two were carried in for their shots. There was no way of putting the third one into a carrier once again after we brought her home. So if we did answer the question, it was considering the food and bills for two cats.
        "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

On our chapter 7 schedule B They have $50.00 for our two dogs, then on schedule J we have $29.25 / month or $351.00 a year.

Comment

Originally posted by fordhipo View Post
            On our chapter 7 schedule B They have $50.00 for our two dogs, then on schedule J we have $29.25 / month or $351.00 a year.
            Our attorney had us claim our pets as personal property on Schedule B and as an expense item on Schedule J, too, fordhipo.

All of our animals were rescue pets so we claimed them as personal property for $0.00 in value. Our lawyer told us that if we didn't claim them as property then we truly couldn't file expenses for them.

I just looked at out petition, with 2 dogs and 2 cats: we budgeted for required shots x 4, city license fee x 4, microchip annual dues x2 (for the dogs only), cat litter, and food for 4 pets. So, for all the expenses I just listed, we budgeted $75 per month for the animals on Schedule J.
            ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
            Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

I had an old sick cat the time I filed. He was on medication along with the vet bills came out to about $150-$200 a month. Nothing got said about it.

Comment

Put down what you "actually" spend.

Rarely are pet expenses an issue so long as the amount seems reasonable (the upper limit is probably around $150 per month, but if it is higher, so long as you can explain why it is higher, usually not an issue).

The issues arise when the debtor has livestock type animals, namely horses. Then you start getting into $600-$1000 per month, so you really need to have your ducks in a row with that sort of case.
                Last edited by HHM; 09-27-2012, 09:22 AM.

Comment

We have a dog and cat, and are allowed $90.00 a month in a 13.

Comment

We had a beautiful Samoyed dog who passed away 2 wks. ago the night before our 341 Meeting. She had numerous Vet bills for the past 7 mos. which had amounted to $250-$300 a month. This of course, is an extreme but nothing was mentioned by the Trustee concerning the amts. at the meeting. sammie
                    Plan Completed 10 months early 09/24/2014 Discharged 11/04/2014

Filed Ch 13 Aug. 2012 341 Meeting 09/12/2012 Confirmed 10/23/2012

Comment

OMG we only were allowed $50 a month for pet expenses outside of food (which we included in our grocery budget). Ugh - our cat is so picky it's over $50 just in food a month.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X