top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying a house - how soon after BK discharged?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying a house - how soon after BK discharged?

My BK was discharged 12/29/12 and I started working again on 1/16/13. I've been working since, looks like I'll be here awhile. I was curious as to when I would be able to purchase a home? From what I've been reading online it says 2 years pretty much everywhere. I don't want to wait that long.

The extent of my BK was discharge of 2 CC's for about 28K and the discharge of a deficiency balance of a voluntary auto repo for 10K. The only thing I owe now are student loans, obviously I have not had any recent current payments with anyone, my loans are in forbearance right now while I try to save some dough.

Thoughts?

Just depends on your lenders criteria. Many may want to see some time between filing and underwriting a loan. They may also require some minimum amount of time you've been on the job plus, your salary and the amount of money you wish to borrow.
    Talk to a mortgage broker and see what they suggest.
    Personally, I'd be in no tearing hurry to get back into debt. I'd focus on building savings, maxing out my 401K before I'd be thinking about a mortgage.

Comment

You will not get anyone to even look at your file for a minimum of two years. And, at the end of that two years, they will absolutely want to see evidence that you can manage your finances and credit...

So you have a minimum of two years in which to start a serious savings effort as well as rebuild your credit. Lots of good suggestions to be found herein...

Now, they MIGHT be an exception for some specific, specialized loan programs, or for a small local bank whose President used to babysit your niece, etc. But a minimum of two years is what to expect in the real world. And even then, expect to be put through the wringer a bit.

Comment

Meh, 2 years is a long time. It's what I figured, but I also feel there are exceptions as well. I don't qualify for an extenuating circumstance that FHA allows, but I'm making more now than I ever have so I should be able to save easily.

Comment

save and put a lot down, buy it outright, use private money or find a seller that will owner finance. if you have to have a house, there are options out there, but you are going to pay a lot more for them now. GL

Comment

Originally posted by duraflame View Post
            Meh, 2 years is a long time. It's what I figured, but I also feel there are exceptions as well. I don't qualify for an extenuating circumstance that FHA allows, but I'm making more now than I ever have so I should be able to save easily.
            Ain't that long. Time flies.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X