top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Discharged but not "closed"? & how long after BK discharge til I can change name?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discharged but not "closed"? & how long after BK discharge til I can change name?

Our attorney notified us, and I found on PACER, that our discharge came through July 17th. Our attorney said the case is discharged, but not "closed." What does this mean? I thought once it was discharged, that was it?

Also, I would like to change my first name, keep middle and last name. It's for personal, family reasons, not to avoid debt or attempt fraud or anything like that whatsoever. I would notify all who need notified (student loans, IRS, BMV, social security, etc.) I have no debt in my name except for Sallie Mae private loans, and I would, of course, notify Sallie Mae of the change. How long do I have to wait after the discharge to file the name change papers with the probate court?

Any answers appreciated.

Closing is the administrative procedure of what you would call tying up the loose ends. Everything must balance, all checks need to clear, and then the trustee will petition the judge to close your case. It's no big deal, just part of the process. As to changing your first name, I know of no reason that you can't do that now.

Congrats on the discharge!
    All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
    Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X