How long??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long??

I have decided to file for Chapter 7. I own my home but live in a state where it is exempt so am going to keep it and am completely current on my mortgage. No other real assets. My issue is, I am worried that if I stop making payments to all my loans/credit cards/medical bills for 4-6 months prior to filing that they will put a lien on my home, freeze my bank account., or garnish my husband's wages. Up until now, I am still current on everything but only paying the minimums and it is eating up everything we have on top of needing serious home and car (one car for a family of 5) repairs.

For those with experience in this, how long does it normally take for creditors to go after your accounts, wages, or home? Do I have 6 months before I file to get the automatic stay. My highest debt is only $4150. There are just a ton of little ones. In reality, I need to wait until August to file because we are using a small bonus at work my husband gets for the filing fees and I need to use what little we get as a tax refund to fix our basement that *was* finished and got flooded. It was not covered in our homeowners insurance and one of my kids bedrooms was ruined. So obviously I need to put time between the refund for the home repairs and filing as well.

Any advice?

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X