Getting a job after BK (credit check) - Share your experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting a job after BK (credit check) - Share your experience

I've been applying for some jobs lately that require running a credit check. I've read back on some old threads regarding credit checks and getting hired and I realize it's more or less up to the type of job your applying for and the employer's policies if you will get hired or not... (I've been out of bk coming up on two years - see sig)

But, does anyone here have any experience they like to share with getting a job after bk? Was your bk/credit a problem with getting hired, or did your employer look past it? How long out of bk were you if you did get the job?

I'm interested to see other's experiences on the issue...
    Last edited by theurge; 09-24-2007, 12:25 PM.
    Filed: 10/3/05
    341: 11/15/05
    Discharge: 1/14/06

My husband applied for a job as a database programmer with a banking intitution / credit card company shortly before our discharge.
    He interviewed and got a letter in the mail saying that they had made a preliminary decision not to hire him based on information in his consumer report.
    He called HR back. They asked him about the bankruptcy. He explained that we had gotten in over our heads, we were discharged now, and he was still very interested in the job. The HR lady said that they may be willing to reverse the preliminary decision and keep him in the job applicant pool.
    A week later they called and offered him the job.
    I had a thread going about this when it happened, but I don't choose to link it at this time since it mentions the company by name (I've deleted it from my posts in the thread but it is still in at least one quote in someone elses post in that thread).

My husband now loves the job and it was a great carreer move for him.
    Last edited by JollyGG; 09-24-2007, 12:41 PM.
    Filed: 10/26/2006
    Discharged: 03/05/2007
    Closed: 5/19/2008 - Asset case due to balance transfer and income tax refund

Comment

Originally posted by JollyGG View Post
      My husband applied for a job as a database programmer with a banking intitution / credit card company shortly before our discharge.
      He interviewed and got a letter in the mail saying that they had made a preliminary decision not to hire him based on information in his consumer report.
      He called HR back. They asked him about the bankruptcy. He explained that we had gotten in over our heads, we were discharged now, and he was still very interested in the job. The HR lady said that they may be willing to reverse the preliminary decision and keep him in the job applicant pool.
      A week later they called and offered him the job.
      I had a thread going about this when it happened, but I don't choose to link it at this time since it mentions the company by name (I've deleted it from my posts in the thread but it is still in at least one quote in someone elses post in that thread).

My husband now loves the job and it was a great carreer move for him.

That's great to hear! I'm personally working on getting into the IT field myself, but I have to finish my degree first...

Just an update myself - I applied for a job and it required an extensive background check including a credit report. I heard back today and the background check came back ok!

Now I just have to wait for them to set me up with a schedule and I pretty much start my job! Like I said I've been out of bk for about 2 years and I have worked on my credit. Hopefully the improvements I've made on my report have helped me to get this job.

This just goes to show that it isn't the end of the world after you've filed..
      Filed: 10/3/05
      341: 11/15/05
      Discharge: 1/14/06

Comment

I know that sometimes companies require a person to sign a release to check one's background. I think, for criminal records and the like, it's the same kind of release for a credit check. Not entirely sure - someone in HR can respond to this better than I can.

I've told this before: Starting my 3rd year into my Chapter 13, I applied for and was hired on to a law firm that handles bankruptcies ... for creditors! Ha! They did a criminal background check, and I believe they may have done a credit check as well. I was extended an offer and worked there for about 7 months. I'm in IT, a computer programmer, and so I had access to the lawfirm's database.

First week there I look up my name. Yep. I'm in there. For my car. :P
        Chapter 13 Filed "Old Law"
        Filed: 6/2003 Confirmed: 3/2004
        Early pay off sent: 10/05/2007 - 9 months early
        11/16/2007 - Discharged!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X