Amex gift cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amex gift cards

i purchased american express gift cards for some of my employees for xmas. If my amex card goes into default. what are the chances of amex tracking down and cancelling those cards?

If AMEX files for bk, the money backing those cards will be property of the bk estate and the cards won't be honored at point of sale. That's what happened when Sharper Image filed. If this is a concern, ask your friends to use those cards soon.

Comment

This is a funny one. Who is in worse shape, Amex or the gift card buyer? Amex is pretty petty but you'd probably have to be several statements past due before they considered tracking down and voiding the gift cards.
      Just a reminder to anyone stiffing Citibank, be sure to cash out your Thank You points, or the same thing in general with other cards.
      filed chapter 13..confirmed...converted to chapter 7...DISCHARGED!

Comment

Originally posted by catleg View Post
        This is a funny one. Who is in worse shape, Amex or the gift card buyer? Amex is pretty petty but you'd probably have to be several statements past due before they considered tracking down and voiding the gift cards.
        Just a reminder to anyone stiffing Citibank, be sure to cash out your Thank You points, or the same thing in general with other cards.
        Yes, this is ironic. How can we point a finger at a cardholder for using a credit card for purchases when the cardholder MAY be insolvent at the same time AMEX is selling those cards and AMEX MAY be insolvent at the time they sold the cards, unable to honor them?

To the OP, I would warn the gift card recipients that due to AMEX's unstable financial status, to use up the cards quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by NoLawyerYet View Post
          i purchased american express gift cards for some of my employees for xmas. If my amex card goes into default. what are the chances of amex tracking down and cancelling those cards?
          it sounds like the OP was asking if he/she defaults on his/her Amex Card- will the gift cards still work?

... I don't believe they were talking about Amex as a company....
          Filed Pro Se: 10/16/2009
          341 Scheduled: 11/23/2009
          Last Day for Objections: 1/22/2010
          Discharged: 1/28/2010

Comment

nOT SURE I UNDERSTAND EXACTLY, BUT I WENT ON THE EAMEX WEBSITE AND PURCHASED $5,000 WORTH OF AMEX GIFT CARDS ON THEIR SITE USING MY AMEX

Comment

So you used your AMEX card to buy $5,000 in AMEX gift cards... and now you're not going to pay the AMEX bill? I don't know if they can cancel those cards or not - maybe someone who's done this will come along now that it's clearer what you are asking. I would think that the purchase would look a little hinky depending on how long til you file, how many payments you make.... but you probably have time since you have to spend that big tax refund!
              BKForum Blog: The Journey

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NoLawyerYet View Post
                nOT SURE I UNDERSTAND EXACTLY, BUT I WENT ON THE EAMEX WEBSITE AND PURCHASED $5,000 WORTH OF AMEX GIFT CARDS ON THEIR SITE USING MY AMEX
                That takes balls...I like it
                filed chapter 13..confirmed...converted to chapter 7...DISCHARGED!

Comment

I know Major Mike had an issue like this when he filed. I think he ended up having to pay back Amex.
                  Filed Chapter 13 05/23/08
                  Converted to Chapter 7 Jan 2012
                  Discharged April 2012

Comment

Reading this again, it occurred to me that if they wanted to AMEX would probably be able to track how the gift cards get used even if they don't cancel them...

sigpic

Comment

do you know how long major mike waited before filing after purchasing the gift cards. do you think that it would help that the cards are being used to remodel an investment property?

Comment

I thought they were gifts...?

sigpic

Comment

Gifts...Building materials? whatever keeps me out of jail!

Comment

Nolawyeryet, I'm not sure how to say this, but . . . you really need to talk to a lawyer. My unsolicited advice: Be completely, scrupulously honest. DO NOT try to "game" the system. DO NOT try to figure out what you can "get away with" and try to fit your facts to fit that scenario. Your facts are your facts, and by being honest with a lawyer you can proceed.

I, for one, don't like having someone say that gift cards were for gifts, then turn around and say, well, no, maybe they were for remodeling expenses on my business. Whatever works. Your trustee will like it even less.

Look, there ARE ways to legally and honestly safeguard some of your assets against seizure in a bankruptcy. Talk to a lawyer and find out about them. Please don't try to hide assets or disguise spendings in one way or another - be upfront. This will only serve you in the long run, even though it may not seem so now.

Comment

thak you for your help. I planned on meeting with my assett protection guy, but i didn't want to put him in a bad position for the errors that i made. i will meet with him soon. thanks again

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X