This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Average attorney fees?

Just wondering what the going rates are now for bankruptcy attorneys. I know it differs by case complexity and geographical area, but are they charging more now that there are more cases being filed?

All of the "good" attorneys I talked to were charging anywhere between 2000-3500. The one I went with was 2900. I live in Northern VA.
    BK Ch 7 Discharged 09/2009 | Anything I say can and should be used as friendly advice and sharing of experiences with an unbiased viewpoint.
    Scores: EQ 745 EX 704 TU 710 as of 08/15/2012

Comment

There really is no average, per se, it really depends on where you live. Fees have pretty much stablized since the 2005 change in law. Some firms may increase fees to manage case load (to lessen it a little), but for the most part, fees don't fluctuate over the short term.

Comment

Our attorney charged us $1500 total.
        His paralegal did make one mistake that I caught in that she said she could not read my writing for the SS # and guessed! And she got it wrong! Yes it was changed.
        This could have been avoided by checking other documents like the W2s, the past IRS filings and so many other ways.
        This was within our attorneys office, not his fault I guess but if he can't train her properly who else is to blame??
        I just saw a piece on CNN yesterday that the average fee for a BK is $2600-$5500. I guess I am lucky I don't live where they got their data.
        Then again I find most TV types out of touch with rural and semi rural communities.

Comment

Our Attorney is charging us $1300 for a Chapter 7 which includes him attending the 341 & 2 reaffirmations, if needed. We live in Arkansas.

Luci

Comment

I paid $2,000 for a chapter 7 in Jacksonville, Florida.
            Retained 3/09 * Filed 6/2/09 *341 Meeting 7/23/09 *Report of No Distribution Filed 7/24/09 *Closed and Discharged 10/13/09*
            ***I do not provide legal advice. All I am doing is sharing my thoughts and opinions. You probably shouldn't even read my posts.***

Comment

$1,650 for a Ch7 in Northern Ohio, includes all filing fees and debtor education.
              27 May 09: File Ch7
              6 Jul 09: 341 Meeting, declared asset case, 341 continued
              6 Aug 09: Continued 341 meeting, came to settlement with TT
              6 Sept 09: Last Date for Creditor Objections

Comment

I paid $750.00, barely dealt with the attorney. I visited 3-4 attorneys ranging from low end( my attorney) to 1200-1500. This forum will educate you to keep an eye on your attorney. Just make sure you interview and follow what your attorney is doing.

BTW. I never used a attorney before filing BK last year.

Comment

I paid $1700 for a Chap 7 in Cental Cali, that includes the 2 classes.
                  Filed 5/29/09
                  Discharged 9/14/09

Comment

We have multiple threads that run for pages with people quoting their fee, I don't really see a need for another one.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X