BK Boot Camp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BK Boot Camp

I knew there was something that made me like my choice of lawyers. Besides his website and my interview with him. I have had my initial meeting and retained him. His email signature contains a link to a special course that he attended and graduated from. He did this after practicing for 30 years and that tells me something--that he cares about what he does! I'm sure the graduates of the boot camp make more money as a result but that's OK if it gets results right? If you scroll down the home page to the USA map you can click on your state to see if there is a graduate near you.
    Last edited by Minnymouth; 08-07-2009, 07:16 AM. Reason: advertising
    Chapter 13ner

Just found this post after coming across a local lawyer's blog and his link to the Bankruptcy Boot Camp. I had a great phone chat with the aforementioned guy, who has a 9.1 rating on Avvo. I was impressed that he even answered his own phone -- as he says in his blog, like the general in Mash who answered his own phone, he's a Unitarian (any Unitarians here who can explain that to me?) ; and is one of the NJ "survivors" of the camp. We will be meeting with him next month.

For those of you trying to find a lawyer, this might be an interesting place to start: [URL Removed]
    Last edited by HHM; 02-26-2011, 11:50 AM.

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

Originally posted by keepsmiling View Post
      Just found this post after coming across a local lawyer's blog and his link to the Bankruptcy Boot Camp. I had a great phone chat with the aforementioned guy, who has a 9.1 rating on Avvo. I was impressed that he even answered his own phone -- as he says in his blog, like the general in Mash who answered his own phone, he's a Unitarian (any Unitarians here who can explain that to me?) ; and is one of the NJ "survivors" of the camp. We will be meeting with him next month.

For those of you trying to find a lawyer, this might be an interesting place to start: [URL Removed]
      Oh this is great, maybe post this in the LINKS sticky, keepsmiling? I see one of the lawyers I am considering in NC has attended, that's good news for me!
      Last edited by HHM; 02-26-2011, 11:50 AM.

Comment

I am happy (but not surprised) that my attorney is a grad!! Thus far, we think his office is uber great!
        ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
        Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

I was keen on the bootcamp grads for awhile too, but then I read the blurb @ Methner's website and that got me reconsidering. Just sharing in case anyone else will see it the way I do. Blurb excerpt:

"We do not practice law by focusing on the mistakes of each creditor for a potential lawsuit and windfall. Instead we take a practical approach focused on how best to reach our client’s goals using legal and practical options. Our approach is client centered and we strive to achieve our clients’ goals in a straightforward, compassionate manner."

I thought I read a second, equally subtle anti-bootcamp blurb but I can't remember where. If I think of it while the 'edit' window is open, I'll share it.

Anyway, I don't mean my position to be a put-down of anyone else's. I just got the impression that bootcampers were more about dragging things out and making money for themselves. I was of the mindset that I just want to get in and out and on with my life. Not sure if the two are mutually exclusive.
          There are two secrets for success in life:
          1.) Never tell everything you know.

Comment

In my case, it has been a very straightforward, "get-r-done" attitude. I have never sent an e-mail or called when I didn't have an answer within hours - and usually it was within minutes. Other than my asking for some figures on the means test and schedules I and J to be re-done - everything went swimmingly from the first appointment through the 341.

The office did hand us a log sheet for recording creditor calls after filing. I also know they will send you info regarding potential violations to look out for for once you are discharged, too.

We have been delightfully amazed at and happy with our representation (thus far). We have a few more weeks until discharge so we are hedging our bets until then!
            ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~

Comment

Good to know.

Comment

Originally posted by debee View Post
                I was keen on the bootcamp grads for awhile too, but then I read the blurb @ Methner's website and that got me reconsidering. Just sharing in case anyone else will see it the way I do. Blurb excerpt:

"We do not practice law by focusing on the mistakes of each creditor for a potential lawsuit and windfall. Instead we take a practical approach focused on how best to reach our client’s goals using legal and practical options. Our approach is client centered and we strive to achieve our clients’ goals in a straightforward, compassionate manner."

I thought I read a second, equally subtle anti-bootcamp blurb but I can't remember where. If I think of it while the 'edit' window is open, I'll share it.

Anyway, I don't mean my position to be a put-down of anyone else's. I just got the impression that bootcampers were more about dragging things out and making money for themselves. I was of the mindset that I just want to get in and out and on with my life. Not sure if the two are mutually exclusive.
                I looked all over this site, at the training, the testimonials .... it sounds good, but I have a question. They mention "revenue streams" and "generating fees" .... um, who are they getting money from? Are we, the bk client, the source of these streams? Or are they speaking of generating fees from our creditors? And are they looking for ways to drag out the BK, in order to make money, when most of us just want it over and done with? I am confused by some of the content, it is over my head.

Comment

The "revenue streams" and fees are generated from the creditors. They get their largest sums (it appears) for transgressions during the stay and post-BK.

My experience has been that I have not encountered any delays at all. Very speedy while still being kind - exactly like I wanted it to be.

Comment

Originally posted by ValleYum View Post
                    The "revenue streams" and fees are generated from the creditors. They get their largest sums (it appears) for transgressions during the stay and post-BK.

My experience has been that I have not encountered any delays at all. Very speedy while still being kind - exactly like I wanted it to be.
                    Okay, good, that's what I thought, just wanted to make sure. I was also struck by the tone of the testimonials where it seemed like the lawyers viewed themselves as actually caring about their clients and charging into the fray as avengers against the creditors. If I could hire an attorney who actually looked at my case as a challenge or show some interest, instead of matter of fact and bored, I would consider this training well worth it. Though some attorneys mentioned the cost as steep, I thought $8k was pretty reasonable for all the info and training they got, the gourmet meals, the open bar, the lux accomodations ...

Comment

The bootcampers have good marketing.

But there are efficient and stinky attorneys on both sides of the gate at Max's retreats. A four day retreat isn't go to make a bad attorney a good one.

In fact, the only added skill set they have is a focus on suing creditors. But it isn't specialized knowledge and it isn't for the client benefit. It's for the lawyer's wallet's benefit.

To a bootcamper, the client is viewed as the road leading into deep creditor pockets.

edit: I'm standing alone in my skeptical position on this thread, so Valle, Keep and Strawbs - don't beat me up!
                      Last edited by debee; 02-26-2011, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by StrawberrySu View Post
                        Okay, good, that's what I thought, just wanted to make sure. I was also struck by the tone of the testimonials where it seemed like the lawyers viewed themselves as actually caring about their clients and charging into the fray as avengers against the creditors. If I could hire an attorney who actually looked at my case as a challenge or show some interest, instead of matter of fact and bored, I would consider this training well worth it. Though some attorneys mentioned the cost as steep, I thought $8k was pretty reasonable for all the info and training they got, the gourmet meals, the open bar, the lux accomodations ...
                        LOL - we did challenge our lawyer and he admitted he liked it.

Our paralegal sent me this in an email last week: "it’s nice to be a part of something that helps people start over."

But there are efficient and stinky attorneys on both sides of the gate at Max's retreats. A four day retreat isn't go to make a bad attorney a good one.

In fact, the only added skill set they have is a focus on suing creditors. But it isn't specialized knowledge and it isn't for the client benefit. It's for the lawyer's wallet's benefit.

To a bootcamper, the client is viewed as the road leading into deep creditor pockets.

edit: I'm standing alone in my skeptical position on this thread, so Valle, Keep and Strawbs - don't beat me up!
                        No worries!! I am just grateful I had an efficient, thorough attorney!!

Comment

Au contraire, mon frere, you aren't alone! I too am skeptical, that's why I am posting .. it sounded good at first, but yeah, I don't want my attorney spending his time worrying about how he is gonna make money off my creditors! I just don't know the best way to selct a really good atty. Since I hope to file non-consumer, I will probably be limited to those with experience in this area.

A question for you ... are you going to vote for DT if he runs in 2012? lol

Comment

Originally posted by StrawberrySu View Post
                            A question for you ... are you going to vote for DT if he runs in 2012? lol
                            LOL. Yeah, I guess I could always vote for my less good-looking twin.

(Good of you guys not to beat up an avatar with glasses. I knew they would come in handy some day.)

Comment

LOL. Yeah, I guess I could always vote for my less good-looking twin.

(Good of you guys not to beat up an avatar with glasses. I knew they would come in handy some day.)
                              Oh the glasses aren't what's protecting you, it's that mustache!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X