Bank change before ch.7 filing???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bank change before ch.7 filing???

Been asking several questions over the last few weeks and I have gotten some very useful info from everyone on this forum. So here goes another.

Not planning on filing ch. 7 until sometime between june and november, not quite sure (will be visiting an attorney in the near future for clarification on the best time to file). Transferred a balance of about $4000 from my chase cc to BofA cc back in october. Currently have my checking thru chase. Been told in some of my previous threads to wait and pay on that cc for 6 months to a year to be safe before filing. I've also been told by one poster to switch checking accounts to another bank. Is that a good idea? Would all of you recommend doing this?

I have really liked banking with chase, but if it is in my best interest to start banking at another institution, I will switch ASAP.

What say you?

Your best bet is to move all your deposit accounts to a bank you don't owe any money to. This is always the safest course of action.

Just leave a few dollars in the account (assuming there is no balance requirement), you can go back to chase after you are discharged if you want.
    Filed CH13 - 06/2009
    Confirmed - 01/2010

Comment

Making the minimum payments for 6 months will dramatically reduce the probability that you're sued for fraud.

And you absolutely MUST switch your bank account from any bank to whom you are indebted because they can---and will---pull funds out of your checking/savings account to satisfy your debt. Don't wait on this one!

Regards,
      Robert G
      [Active advertising link removed. Against forum rules.]

Comment

So as long as you don't owe any money to your current bank, there is no need to switch??!! I've been making payments to cc's and the mortgage online, but have deleted bank accounts and stopped the automatic payment for our mortgage. Just wanted to be SURE that we were ok with staying with our current bank, since we don't owe them any money. As long as the companies don't have our permission to withdraw money, they can't, right?! (haven't been able to delete my bank account info from Discover, or the mortgage-first month missing the mortgage and cc payments)

Comment

Originally posted by youngnbroke View Post
          So as long as you don't owe any money to your current bank, there is no need to switch??!! I've been making payments to cc's and the mortgage online, but have deleted bank accounts and stopped the automatic payment for our mortgage. Just wanted to be SURE that we were ok with staying with our current bank, since we don't owe them any money. As long as the companies don't have our permission to withdraw money, they can't, right?! (haven't been able to delete my bank account info from Discover, or the mortgage-first month missing the mortgage and cc payments)

I really would like a definite answer to this question as well. I'm in the exact position as you - owe them no money - but all of my creditors have my bank account info as I've been paying online for years. Don't really want to change either but could open up an account at a credit union here if I had to.
          04/01/10 - Hit rock bottom and knew we were going to have to file for bankruptcy and surrender our home. 12/14/10 - Filed Chapter 7, 02/09/11 - 341 Hearing, 04/14/11 -

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X