top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Never miss a payment... were you guys scared at all?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never miss a payment... were you guys scared at all?

This last Feb(2010) I didn't pay my citiCC $70monthly and my UsbankCC $350monthly;
    Guys, I am so scared, never done that before.

I still have left to decide stop paying boaCC$ 120monthly, wamu $25, GE $15, Target $45, chase $30, discover $ 80, USAA $135 Macys $25, My car $288.
    (all monthly)

I am only using my USAA and my discover for food and pharmacy. And Macys I used it during last christmas.

I am thinking filing around june; do I need to wait a little bit more on my discover and usaa before stop paying them because as you see I still using them.

When the collectors will start to call my friends and employers?

PS I am thinking about moving to another apartment, will be better move before filing or it doesn't matter.

do you guys have any experiences or know anyone that wasn't discharged?

thank you!

I got my first credit card in college when I was 18. I never missed a payment in 29 years. I don't think I was scared so much as in disbelief. It seems so strange now but there was a time when I was proud of my payment history.

Missing that first payment made me want to hurl. But I knew I needed to do it.

So being scared is normal. Then comes relief.
    So the poor debtor, seeing naught around him
    Yet feels the narrow limits that impound him
    Grieves at his debt and studies to evade it
    And finds at last he might as well have paid it.

Comment

Originally posted by seamoonil View Post
      This last Feb(2010) I didn't pay my citiCC $70monthly and my UsbankCC $350monthly;

I still have left to decide stop paying boaCC$ 120monthly, wamu $25, GE $15, Target $45, chase $30, discover $ 80, USAA $135 Macys $25, My car $288.
      (all monthly)

I am only using my USAA and my discover for food and pharmacy. And Macys I used it during last christmas.

I am thinking filing around june; do I need to wait a little bit more on my discover and usaa before stop paying them because as you see I still using them.

PS I am thinking about moving to another apartment, will be better move before filing or it doesn't matter.

thank you!
      If you have decided to file and have already stopped paying on 2 of your cards, you need to stop paying the rest of them. Not only is it a preferential payment, but its throwing your money away.

Stop using all your cards immediatly too. Use the money from not paying the cards to buy your food and prescriptions instead. If you only used the cards for essential items the last 90 days it fine to stop paying on them now.
      Filed CH13 - 06/2009
      Confirmed - 01/2010

Comment

(all monthly)
        Stop paying all of them like forgotten said, are you planning on keeping car? If so you should keep paying it.

Stop it with the CC!

Usually about a week to 30 days past due come the first round of calls. Collection agencies usually dont get involved untill 90 days late in my experience.

Apartment managements usually run credit checks on potential tenants so you may want to move before you file IMO.

No, at least no one on here that I am aware of, which is a good sign !
        Filed CH7 Feb 12 2010
        341 March 18
        Discharged...May 18
        Awaiting closing...

Comment

They wont call employers, family or friends if you talk to them. This only occurs if you ignore their calls. That being said, you should stop paying on all the debt you plan to file on and retain a attorney. When your creditors call tell them you are filing bankruptcy and give them your attorneys name and phone #. If they try to ask anything else tell them

"my attorney can answer your question"

You can still hold them off until June. The only bad thing is they may try to sell your debt to third party debt collectors which will also begin to harass you.

Comment

Stop paying the cards - if you're 110% sure you're going to file - and start buying food, etc. with the money you have on hand. Better to start living now on the budget you'll have at & after filing. It can be an adjustment, but also a bit of a relief, to adapt to a cash online style.
            Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo
            (In the 'planning' stage, to file ch. 13 if/when we have to.)

Comment

I felt the same way. Never missed a payment had a credit score of over 700. I had to drop my second job and stop paying the cards ..that day felt odd but you have to do it .. it will pass. Been in an active chapter 13 for 3 months and it will all work out. This is an easy bump to get around.

Comment

I'm right there with you, we stopped paying Feb 15th and it was difficult for me. (I even canceled a couple auto payments).

Stop paying everything but your car and house if you have a mortgage. Save the money you would have spent or use it on expenses that you would have put on the CC. It was amazing how much cash I ended up with once I stopped making the minimum payments.

Also, if you haven't already been told this, every account will end up closed so don't bother "keeping" one and paying it, you're wasting money doing that.
                attorney consult and decided to file, 02/15/2010
                no-asset Chapter 7 filed, 03/11/2010
                341, 05/10/2010
                discharged, 07/13/2010

Comment

Yes, it feels strange/bad...but like others have said, if you are sure you need to file BK, it's the right move. And I wouldn't pay some and not others, if I were you (unless you have recent/questionable use on one). Once you don't pay one of them, the calls will start almost right away, and they will be frequent...so once that happens, you won't feel compelled to pay on the others. What's a few more phonecalls?

Comment

In post #6, meant to say 'cash only'!
                    Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo
                    (In the 'planning' stage, to file ch. 13 if/when we have to.)

Comment

Yes, I was the same way. Got my first CC at 18 and never missed one payment, nor was I ever even late. When I got to the point I couldn't do it anymore, I wanted to vomit. I would wake up in the middle of the night sweating and not be able to go back to sleep. But I've come to terms with it. Under my Chapter 13, my creditors will be getting most, if not all, of the money I owe them, so I no longer feel guilty. Just relieved.
                      Filed Ch 13 - 2/2010
                      341 meeting - 4/2010
                      Confirmed! - 6/2010

Comment

so, if I just used mine usaa ross for less than 2 weeks ago, and for food yestarday, and my discover for pharmacy and food last week;

It dosen't matter if I stop paying right now?
                        they look the 60-90 days without charging before BK
                        what about; how many days should I keep paying the cc before stop paying them?
                        It could be also 90days(3mounths) from the last charge until I decide to stop.?????

I am planning filing in june or july...

I bought I too much gifts at christmas at macys for my girlfriend, I have a $800 debt on my macys credit line; what if I stop paying, it really dosen't matter or what really matters is the 90 days before bk?

Comment

Ask an attorney, but mine told me to stop wasting the money on payments. I used a card on Jan 11th and didn't send February's payment.
                          attorney consult and decided to file, 02/15/2010
                          no-asset Chapter 7 filed, 03/11/2010
                          341, 05/10/2010
                          discharged, 07/13/2010

Comment

I felt just like you initially...a little nervous since I had never missed a payment ever. Had a very high 700's credit score. But, I had to do it. It wasn't a choice.

The CC's will call, but they cannot kill you. In fact, I have not found them to be that bad to talk to - others may disagree. If you never speak to them they may try to reach you thru relatives or at work, but evn infrequent contact will keep them from doing that.

The advice on this forum is very valuable - listen to these people.

Comment

(all monthly)

thank you!
                              Don't worry about your friends and employers!
                              do what is best for you.

the CC's are not going to do crap until you are about 3 payments behind (maybe 2), and then you can file if you have no other way out.

Just relax. Things will be fine. At least you are smart enough to consider filing if you are way over your head.

Smart move there.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X