Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Authorized User - sharing my experience

Hello all,

I posted a question about how to handle authorized user situation and did not get many known responses so I did what I thought was best and it worked out. Here you go for those that are unsure.

My husband was an authorized user on two credit cards in my name and the plan was for him not to file because we wanted to keep the house in his name and maintain his good credit. All the credit cards were in my name.

In March 2010 I ran his credit report and both cards showed up on his report, in good standing because I had not stopped paying.

March 2010 - called credit card companies to have him removed as authorized user, requested a letter comfirming.

Letter was received in about 10 days.

April 2010 - stopped making credit card payments.

July 2010 - ran husbands credit report, there was nothing (good or bad) reported on his report regarding the two credit cards.

Hopefully this helps someone!

Just wanted to add that we did the same exact thing. I have read that it's more difficult to get authorized users removed once the account is in default, so we called while the accounts were still current. In our case, I was the a/u on 6 different cards so I pulled my credit report before to prove the a/u vs joint, and then again about 60 days after removing my name from the account.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I started a thread in rebuilding credit about being added as an AU to improve credit. Today my wife added me to a 2nd card that dates back to 2004. We will be buying a house sometime in the future and once 3 to 4 years are passed many more loan options begin to open up so I figure that adding me as an AU can only help.

Logan

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X