Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

advice needed: Chap 7, Chap 13, debt Management

Hi,

I have a weird question that I need advice with please.

I'm married, but things are going south especially now with the financial situation we're in (long story). As a couple we make to much to file a 7, so we looked in to a 13 and the payments will run us about $2800 per month. It's looking more and more like we will divorce, (not just because of the payments, it's much more than that) My Attorney told me I could qualify for a 7 on my own (wife makes much more than I) so she'd be left filing a 13.

My question, can she enter into a debt management program like with Greenpath or similar, or would she be better of just doing a 13? I'm just wondering what might be the least expensive route for her to take.

Friends tell me screw it, who cares what she does, but I do care we did have a life together, can't shut it all down that easily.

Thanks in advance for any advice given...I appreciate it.

BTW, if it matters, we're in AZ.

Originally posted by Bearmo01 View Post
    My question, can she enter into a debt management program like with Greenpath or similar, or would she be better of just doing a 13? I'm just wondering what might be the least expensive route for her to take.
    It's impossible to say not knowing her debts, income, expenses, etc.

I think you should suggest to her that she get a free consultation with a bankruptcy attorney to determine the answer to this question.
    Filed Chapter 7 July 2010
    Attended 341 September 2010
    Discharged November 2010 Closed November 2010

Comment

Thanks Keepinitreal,

I should rephrase the question. Is it even a viable option for someone to enter into a debt management program when their ex-spouse has filed a Chap 7 or would a 13 be the better option?

Thanks again to all!

Comment

Hard to say, but 9 times out of 10, debt management is ALWAYS more expensive than a 13. True debt management is consumer credit counseling, which devises a plan to pay off your debt IN FULL within 60 months with a reduced interest rate, (3-9%). Debt settlement (which is often termed debt management) is usually a dead end. But debt settlement is a negotiation with your creditors to pay a lump sum cash payment to consider the debt paid in full (e.g. you owe Chase $10,000, and you negotiate a lump sum payment of $4,500). However, to motivate settlement, you must stop making the payments.

ALL these options wreck your credit, so don't let that factor enter into the decision making process.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X