Will I lose my Car/41k if i do a BK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will I lose my Car/41k if i do a BK

I am disable and need my car to go to the Doc.I know a few people who say they keep there call. What abot 41k, roth ra funds do we get to keep that , OJ did.

A free consult with attorney would help ease your mind. Chances are you may not need to file right now with no job etc. Just get your funds hide from sharks. Your car may be protected by NJ exemptions and your retirement stuff is also.
    chpt 7 ,5-2009

Comment

Ulita, 401K is safe. Roth, I'm not sure. Getting to keep the car depends on NJ's exemptions. Let's say the car is worth $2,000 and NJ allows you to keep a car worth up to $2,500, then you're in luck. If the car is worth more than $2,500, then you're out of luck.
      Filed August 20 341 on September 23 Report of No Distribution - September 24 Case Discharged and Closed on November 23!!!

Comment

Originally posted by drowning123 View Post
        Ulita, 401K is safe. Roth, I'm not sure. Getting to keep the car depends on NJ's exemptions. Let's say the car is worth $2,000 and NJ allows you to keep a car worth up to $2,500, then you're in luck. If the car is worth more than $2,500, then you're out of luck.
        No worries on the retirement account.
        If the car is worth more than your exemption and you own it outright, the trustee will either want to seize the vehicle or make you pay to keep it. In my case, I kept mine & he took my income tax refund & I paid the rest of an agreed upon amount to retain the vehicle.
        Filed Oct 2005discharged February 2007,Shapeless in the fire's glow, tell me if you think you know,
        Who it was we were below, where we've been and where we go

Comment

I may need to start my own thread, but I have the same basic question with a twist. I am going through a divorce, and my wife had run up considerable debt in my name. My cars are paid for, just house and credit card debt. I drive a 1999 Expedition, but also have a 1964 Fairlane that I have owned for 23 years (Father/son project starting when I was 12). Insured value is $26,000, but liquidation value is probably $12,000 or so. Not something I bought, but built over decades of time, and I don't think anything on my credit cards would have anything to do with my Fairlane. Would a creditor be able to come after the car? There has never been a loan on the car, my truck has been paid off for two years or so, and I don't mind loosing my house as I have been trying to sell it for over a year anyway.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X