top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying a car right before chap 7 with tax refund?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying a car right before chap 7 with tax refund?

My new job requires me to drive, a lot. I have to have a personal vehicle for work or I lose my job. The current vehicle I'm driving is very old, a 93 Honda. It drives but I worry it's going to croak soon. So hubby and I were talking about using our tax refund to purchase a used vehicle that I can use for I don't want to deal with car payments and full coverage insurance, ect. Our refund will be around $5800 but I'm not using the entire thing on the car. Some will go to moving expenses (moving from a run down rental to a newer apartment in a better neighborhood).

Is there going to be an issue with 1) me using the tax money to buy a car and 2) buying a car? 3) exempting it?

You may do anything you wish before filing. In the fact that you are doing this soon to filing does lead some questions. However, these things being necessities, may be excused. Not being a lawyer I cannot advise, but in reality, you must do what you have to do to survive. Certainly it is not a luxury item. I am more concerned about what your car is worth towards your State exemption. You do not want to have it become an asset so be careful that you have 'wild cards' and such. I do not research State exemptions so Google yours.

Remember, at this time, you do have a job. Here in our area, there just aren't any. Do what you have to do (redundant I know) and I believe the Trustee will understand. 'Hub
    If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

I'm WA state so I can do the federal exemptions. I actually decided I may get an attorney rather than try to do this myself. Since my new job I have no time to do anything.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X