Just a sad comment about NJ legal aid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a sad comment about NJ legal aid

Okay, I decided I have to file for BK. First step is find a lawyer. Called legal aid yesterday (I would definitely qualify.) Yes, they can help. BK's are done through Rutgers, Camden (NJ), so one must have transportation (an hour and a half away) and there is a 6 to 8 month wait!
    So much for legal aid and pro bonos in NJ helping those who need it.
    I made appts. with 2 lawyers this week. Hopefully, it won't take me 6 to 8 mos. to get the money to pay one.

Well that sucks.
    Being a fellow NJ-an, I have wondered about that myself.
    I'd call a bunch of lawyers and see if any are willing to take you pro bono or reduced fee.
    PM me when you have enough posts and I'll see if I can get you a name.

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

Thank you Keepsmiling. A referral would be wonderful. I'm flying blind. Picked 2 from the internet. Glad I started looking now before I'm really desperate. Most of us can't (or won't) ask friends or associates if they know a good BK attorney.
      I've done searches on this, but why aren't there any reviews for lawyers, other than the obvious, lawsuits? Even Angie's List does not include lawyers.
      The thing about legal aid, I'll be alright. I feel really bad for families about to lose their homes and maybe no transportation. I would think public transit from my area to Camden would take half a day at least. Not to mention, going to Camden without a bodyguard, is not something I take lightly. (Sorry, Camden people!)

Comment

I guess I should keep posting, huh?
        Here's a funny tidbit. I switched banks about 5 yrs ago and never received a startup pack of checks. It never mattered before, because I use a debit card for most everything and pay everything online. I've been organizing my paperwork, getting my ducks lined up, etc. I discovered I need a copy of my 2010 state tax return. NJ's antique system requires mailing in a form (at least that is downloadable) with a check or money order only. I ordered checks today. I can see they may be needed for other things.

Comment

I just realized, I don't even own stamps!

Comment

What county are you in?

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

Attorneys are rated on Avvo.

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

Give us a little more info. You are partially employed and partially on SS? You have no health insurance? You have no assets?
                This may not be the best time to file. You may be collection proof. Any reason you are in a hurry? How old are you?

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

Not all attorneys are on Avvo. (it is pay to play).

In any event, legal aid is usually a poor resource for BK. As you found out, if the legal aid office even assists, the wait is long. The reality is, everyone CAN afford a BK attorney in one form or another, they just CHOOSE not too. So, legal aid does not really view BK as an essential service since legal aid exists to help the truly indigent. Poor people don't get credit (or cant). Most legal aids have to find an attorney in private practice willing to handle the case, most legal aid services do not employ in house BK attorneys.

If the case is relatively simple, then the BK mill in your state or city can handle it, and you won't pay very much. Most attorneys have some sort of payment plan. But just understand, the cheaper you go, the lesser quality.

Comment

We tried the legal aid route, too in our state of Florida. The closest office to us was 60 miles away, and if approved, only get one 30 minute consultation per month. When we found that out, we went no further, so I have no idea how long the waiting period was at that time, 2006-2007.
                    "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Thanks all for your input.

The few reviews I saw on Avvo, were either peer reviews or read like a good friend wrote them. Granted, all reviews need to be read with a grain of salt, but these were no help at all.

I'm a fairly easy case, I think. I was partially laid off for a year and a half (in 2009 that's when my credit started sinking,) then back full for nearly a year (not long enough to get caught up,) and I have been totally unemployed for about a year and a half. I'm 62, Atlantic County. I started on Soc. Sec. last Dec., because I wasn't sure how long I had on unemployment and thought the overlap of extra money would help pay my car off, which it did. The car is my only asset. My credit cards were under $8,000 before I got behind. They are now about $16,000 and four are in the hands of Pressler & Pressler. They have one judgement against me, and I expect the other ones will happen fast. The first one was a nightmare. It's not going to get any better. I just want to start over.
                      I will still have some back taxes to pay, but the credit card debt will go away.

Comment

Keepsmiling, I forgot the health insurance question. HI is not gonna happen unless I find a great job with bennies, or get to age 65 and qualify for Medicare. Health Ins. Is somewhat of a luxury for many these days, me included.

Also, had my first lawyer appt. this afternoon. Local, very nice, very laid-back, not aggressive, had good answers to my questions, just about all he does are BKs, but he's not a 'mill' and his fee was very reasonable. Have another appt. With atty. no. 2 on Thursday.

Comment

I'm not sure what 'collection proof' means. I get threatening letters from court officers saying if I don't pay, the sheriff's officers will be at my door, to take whatever I have including my car. Okay, they inventory first, but still...why not just make it all go away. I made every effort to pay things off before I was laid off again.

Comment

'Collection proof' means that if a creditor gets a 'judgment' against you, there is almost nothing you own that the creditor can seize to satisfy that judgment. There are many, many legal steps in between where you are now, and and anyone trying to legally seize your property.

The creditors can and will threaten and bluster and say all kinds of things to intimidate you into paying. You have to ignore them up to a point. You do NOT want to ignore a document from your local civil court telling you that a suit has been filed against you. You will need to answer that, if it happens. You do not want to let a creditor get a default judgment against you. Even though you have nothing now that anyone can take, you may get a good job and want to purchase some things in the future. A judgment can stay on your record for 7 -10 years or more, and can be renewed. If at any time you get a nice car or something else, and the judgment is still out there, the creditor can go to court and start the paperwork necessary to seize it.

Comment

Originally posted by Pjmax View Post
                              ...why not just make it all go away. I made every effort to pay things off before I was laid off again.
                              If you already have a judgment, or are about to be sued, filing BK will stop that.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X