Reaffirming Car and Credit Rebuilding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reaffirming Car and Credit Rebuilding

I have two cars that I reaffirmed, one is a lease with less than a year to go, the other is financed. My question is, I am still in the 60 day period where I can cancel either or both. What I am wondering is how this will effect credit rebuilding if change my mind?

I am thinking of getting rid of the financed car and take the money I would spend on payments and insurance and save up for a used car that I can pay for in cash next year.

I am just wondering if will be setting myself back farther doing this since both cars are current and it must be a positive to post discharge credit rebuilding. That is, maybe in a year I can do something else instead.

Honestly, credit rebuilding would be the last thing on my mind right now.
    You should focus on what makes sense financially-what puts dollars in your pocket. Do you want to risk the fresh start by being obligated to an auto loan?

Comment

Yes, current payments on the reaffirmed vehicles should help rebuild credit history, whereas missing payments would make credit worse.
      Filed Joint, No Asset, > $100,000 Unsecured Ch.7 6/7/13 ~~ 341 Meeting 7/15/13 ~~ Discharged 9/16/13 !!

Comment

Originally posted by ccmisery View Post
        I am just wondering if will be setting myself back farther doing this since both cars are current and it must be a positive to post discharge credit rebuilding. That is, maybe in a year I can do something else instead.
        IMO, this is a good approach. I certainly wouldn't reaffirm both loans but since you obviously need at least one car - no matter if reaffirmed or not - I don't see a problem with reaffirming one. If there is less than a year on the lease left and the payments aren't too high (and you won't be facing additional charges for putting too many miles on it), I'd say go for it.
        Filed CH7 9/24/2010, 341 on 10/28/2010, Disch.&Closed: 1/6/2011. FICO EX: 9/2: 672.
        FICO EQ: pre-filing: 573, After BK Public Record: 568, 10/3: 673.
        FICO TU: pre-filing: 589, After BK Public Record: 563, 9/2: 706.

Comment

I am up against the wall, but being there is less than a year on the leased car, it seems like it makes little sense to cancel it and the financed car for the credit reason, I know we will need two cars a year from now so to give up the financed would place me in a tough spot next year, could only save up enough to buy a older used car based on my payments and car insurance savings.

I thought in a year if I kept them, it would open up lower finance rate possibly to get another car.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X