What a mess...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a mess...

Don't know where to post... fits into several forums.

Here is a basic run down of my situation.

Husband left and moved to another state. Filed for divorce (no kids, no business etc.) and thought it was going to be it. He lost his job in the new state and started searching for work. After 90+ days without work, he came back to CO and started working. That job lasted all of a year before another layoff.

He thought we could reconcile. Keep the house and work out the debt. After he moved back into our mortgaged (X2) home life is MISERABLE. We don't get along and I don't think we can.

Between the first and second mortgage we are about $15k-$20k+ shy of actual value on the house. We both have seperate car loans and two to three really past due credit cards a piece.

I started receiving notices from a law firm several months ago on one of my cards. After talking with them and trying to compromise I was just served. I'm due in court with them in a month.

We don't have the money. Come to find out he has been to court on two of his old cards. I'm at a total loss.

I have to get out the house for my own sanity, piece of mind and safety. At this point I don't know where to start. I've looked at filing alone, but I don't want to screw him (it will bite me hard) and looked into a couple atty's. I can't pay upfront and none of them list anything about payment plans on their sites. Is it even feasible to try and self-file?

My pride has kept me from calling an attorney, I've tried for 4 years to do this on my own but keep getting major set backs. My head is through the brick wall, and I think I see a brighter shade of green and happy. He has been laid off from three companies since returning. Each time throws my plan out of whack.

Please... any advice, referrals, support from someone that has been as dumb as me. I don't know which way to go. Can I file alone? Should we file together? Can I do it Pro Se or would it be best with an attorney?

Hey ml, here's a warm welcome and a long distance hug.

You made a good move in posting here. My best advice- about that pride thing? Fuggedaboudit. Call a few attorneys and schedule some free consults. You won't have anything to tell them that they haven't heard a million times before.

Plenty of people here have been thru combined divorce/bk- they kinda go together- so I am sure they will be along shortly to help. Also, plenty of pro-se'ers here with good advice.

Meanwhile, take a deep breath and hang in there!

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

Welcome mljones06.

Sorry to hear about your situation. Like keepsmiling wrote, there are plenty of pro se filers here that can guide you through the process. Actually taking the plunge and filing is the biggest step, I promise you will feel relief once you are filed. Lot's of bankruptcy/divorce combinations on this forum.

I decided to file when I was sued by one of my credit card companies. I filed before the court date and included that card in the Chapter 7.

I did use an attorney, mainly because I delayed the process so much, or better stated delayed the decision so much and was in a race against the clock. In my state, I had 15 days to answer the summons, and my court date was 30 days out. So, I put an attorney on retainer and had him answer the summons and filed two weeks later, almost 15 days before the court date.

There is absolutely no shame in calling an attorney, making an appointment and seeking advice, especially if they offer a free consultation. Regardless if you are filing pro se or not, I think meeting with an attorney will help. Make a list of questions and take them with you on the appointment.

Sorry you are going through difficult times. This forum is amazing, people will offer advice but also support, which is essential.
      Chapter 7 Filed: 04/21/2011, 341 Meeting: 05/31/2011, Report of No Distrubution: 06/02/2011, Discharged: 08/03/2011, Closed: 08/10/11

Comment

MlJones...are you still here? Give us an update. We all want to help you.

Comment

I went to 3 Atty's for free consults before deciding to file ProSe. I got lots of free advise to help make my decision. One of my free consults even let me keep my means test and results. I had a BK paralegal help me with mine for a small fee. My sister just filed and did it all on her own with the help of this site, the NOLO book. I have heard of filers using Craigslist to find affordable Paralegal BK help in your area, I found mine by word of mouth. Good Luck...

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X