No announcement yet.

Homemaker/Self employed spouse & required documents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meh - most people haven't yet filed 2013 unless they are due a large refund. My concern would be using the "Married Filing Jointly" on the past tax returns you will be giving to the Trustee.

Yes, absolutely expect a grilling. Expect to be asked back to bring even more documents. Being naive, "playing dumb", etc will NOT work - these Trustees have seen it all. You need to know hubby's P&L numbers and why they add up to being the income he is listing - particularly on tax return(s) you are signing!

What if something happened to your husband tomorrow? God forbid, do you know where the bank accounts are? The important papers are (and if they are in a safe deposit box - do you have access?)

I was listing the other posts you recently posted on other internet sites to show that most everyone you have asked (BK Lawyers included) don't think this will be an easy, breezy Chapter 7. It's not like you are gonna get a different answer no matter how many times you ask the question. Further, I posted to protect our members who do untold amounts of research to help new members in need. I am protecting them.

You do know you will HAVE TO PERSONALLY appear at the BK Court for your 341 meeting which date will be set by the court? How will you get to and from there when you can't even drive your petition to file to the courthouse due to lack of transportation?

Did you ever consider that maybe your hubby is just as sick to his stomach over "his" debt and bills and your bringing up doing a Chapter 7 would relieve him, too?? I don't think you would regret talking to him. He may get mad for a day or 2 but I wholeheartedly recommend you tell him.
    ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
    Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

Hi, in reading the details of your situation and the fact that you do not want to involve your husband I am guessing you took the cards out without his knowledge as well. I do not see how you can get through this whole thing without telling him (the fact that you do not have a car BUT will have to appear at the 341 is a good reason to tell him just to make sure you get there?), personally I would tell him before you get in any deeper since it involves his income and none of your own. I agree with PJMAX in that not sure how it will appear to trustee that you took the cards out without spouses knowledge and you had no income or not planning on ever having income to pay them back. You never know how this will all play out as it is different for everyone so you need to be prepared for everything and have the proper paperwork.

Just curious, but have you tried getting a job (even a part time) to pay these cards back? Don't know how many kids you have at home but eventually they will be in school and maybe you and your husband can deal with the payments until you can work part time? Just a thought but the bottom line is that you should tell him the whole story no matter what happens, you will actually feel better as that is part of your stress. Good Luck!

Comment

I agree with Drazil, about a part time job, if that's a possibility for you.

Remember you can only file for Chapter 7 bankruptcy once every 8 years. If you and your husband find yourself in a situation within the next couple of years where you need to file for bankruptcy, he'll have to either file by himself, or do a Chapter 13. Better to save the bankruptcy for when/if you really need it.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X