Son's Wedding - Gift & Wedding Expenses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Son's Wedding - Gift & Wedding Expenses

I have a couple of questions on gifts to children. Filing Ch7 Apr-Jun '10.

My son got married in Nov '09 I gave him $300 as a wedding present. Wish it could have been more.

In addition, I gave my ex a portion of the rehearsal dinner expense, $1,000. I suppose it could be viewed as an indirect gift to my son??

Any insight as to how these may be viewed as gifts to relatives and any impact on the BK.

Many thanks.

In my case, they looked at all gifts for past two years. Didn't matter the amount. The trustee can go after those amounts. Best to be honest. Discuss with your attorney.

Comment

Originally posted by LALADY View Post
      In my case, they looked at all gifts for past two years. Didn't matter the amount. The trustee can go after those amounts. Best to be honest. Discuss with your attorney.
      Are you serious? I can't even remember gifts for the past year. How would they know what is a gift?

Comment

That CAN"T be right. Who even knew they were filing 2 years ago-we sure didn't.
        Retained atty 3/2010. Filed Chapter 13 on 1/2013.

Comment

No one ever asked me about any gifts.
          19% dividend

Comment

My mom passed away and I was the beneficiary for the life insurance. My brother, who is below the poverty line anyway lost his job a week b4 she died. We are both on the her will, she didn't have anything except the life insurance money. I rec'd a bunch of money from friends an relatives. I gave my brother a few thousand, basically half of what was left after the funeral and burial costs. What will happen in that circumstance? It's a gift, but it's really his half of the 'inheritence'. I'm so so stressed out over this bk, I feel like the walls are coming in on me. I lost my mother to a hideous disease, basically watched her die for the last few months, then I find out that bk can ruin my chances of working in my field (security clearance), what is the point of moving forward if you are me?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X