Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car decisions - buy before discharge?

Hi,
    I had my 341, 10 days ago everything seemed smooth.
    Now my current credit union doesn't want to budge on the reaffirm of my car loan, to what I think is fair. I owe $5500 on the car and a cross-collateral 6000 on a line of credit. The car (2002 IS 300, 105k miles) is in average shape, i figured maybe 7k top, i need to fix 02 sensor for another 400. The books have 5-8k range. Anyway, the CU only said they can cut the LOC down to 3k, so net, would be $8500 for me to keep the car. She's using retail value of the car at 11k. which no way she would get it, but anyway...
    Part of me want to just pay her so I don't have any headaches, and I know how good the car is, even though it's not perfect. But part of me says, I can get a newer/less mileage car, and not pay extra.

She said she will file a relief of stay to get the car and sell it.
    I think I might as well let her do it. Not sure when it would get completed, could be 2 weeks, 1month?

I've been current on payment, but if she's going to file for relief and not budge, i'll just stop paying.

Would there be any issues if I buy a car pre discharge?
    I am/was paying $400/month for the car now.
    I can scrounge up some money and borrows some too.
    Does buying a car pre discharge affect my filing? waiting for discharge?

these are all good questions and i am wanting to knw the answers as well! hopefully someone
    will chime in.

Comment

You are not supposed to take on new loans, while in active BK. However, you could always buy a cheap car for cash and then when you are ready and after discharge, get another car loan if you feel you need to.

There is no way I'd reaffirm or even struggle to keep a asset that is underwater. I'd let the car go in a second.

While I was in active BK, I bought a 1993 Grand Marquis with 107K miles on it. The car is 17 years old, but is rust free and hasn't given me a bit of trouble. I am still driving it today and it has 128K on it now. So there are very good, reliable older cars out there, you just have to look.

Just my opinion, all the best.
      8-07-09-filed Chapter 7
      11-18-09-DISCHARGED!!

Life is not what challenges you face, but how you face those challenges.

Comment

That's interesting, our lawyer told us to look for my husband and dump our lease we will not be discharged until next month. Funny though, I have been trying to reach him regarding the above and has yet to call me back.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X