exemptions: unemployment compensation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

exemptions: unemployment compensation

in a chap 7, if you have cash in a bank account that comes from unemployment compensation, is that exempt from chap 7 under the federal exemptions? for example, if you use up other money to live on and save your unemployment, and can show that it's the unemployment that's been saved, can it be taken?
    filed ch7 May 09
    341 june 09
    discharged, closed Aug 09

Good question

Originally posted by music12 View Post
    in a chap 7, if you have cash in a bank account that comes from unemployment compensation, is that exempt from chap 7 under the federal exemptions?
    That's how I understand it. It'll be one of the first questions I ask my attorney as soon as I can afford to hire one (hopefully real soon).

for example, if you use up other money to live on and save your unemployment, and can show that it's the unemployment that's been saved, can it be taken?
    If you have only one account that all income goes into, I think it would be hard to prove how much of it is from UE. I'm thinking of opening a separate account just for deposit of my UE checks. The amount doesn't vary so it should be obvious that the deposits were from unemployment.

Comment

talk to your lawyer and you can possibly get it exempted. Our lawyer was able to exempt ours along with tax returns, etc

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X