Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

End Is Seen To Free Checking

June 16, 2010

Bank of America Corp. and other banks are preparing new fees on basic banking services as they try to replace revenue lost to regulatory rules, in a push that is expected to spell an end to free checking accounts for many Americans.

Free checking accounts, which have been widely available for more than a decade, have been a boon to middle-class consumers and attracted low-income customers to the banking system for the first time.

Customers will likely be required to pay new monthly maintenance fees on the most basic accounts that don't generate a lot of activity. To avoid a fee, customers will have to maintain certain account balances or frequently use other banking services, such as credit and debit cards, automated teller machines and online accounts.

"If you put $1,000 in a checking account and don't do anything with it, it will be hard to get that for free," says Sherief Meleis, a managing director at Novantas LLC, a consulting firm that advises banks.

Some consumer advocates warn the new fees will whack consumers who now manage their bank accounts to avoid such charges. "Just because you made a lot of money on overdraft fees doesn't mean you deserve the income and doesn't mean you need the income," said Ed Mierzwinski, director of the consumer program for the U.S. Public Interest Research Group, a liberal lobbying group, in Washington.

The transformation of checking accounts comes at a time when banks are bouncing back from the steepest financial losses in a generation and are facing new regulations. To accelerate that recovery and recoup losses from new banking rules, financial institutions are increasingly leaning on customers who don't now generate enough revenue for the bank.

More than half of all checking accounts are currently unprofitable, according to a report issued last month by Celent, a unit of Marsh & McLennan Cos. It costs most banks between $250 and $300 a year to maintain one of the roughly 200 million checking accounts, according to industry estimates.

The situation is especially critical for Charlotte, N.C.-based Bank of America, which stands to lose more revenue than most other big banks because it is in the process of dismantling its checking-overdraft program in the face of new restrictions. Starting this summer, banks must receive customer permission before they can charge for overdrafts. But Bank of America has decided to drop most of its program altogether. The nation's largest bank, as measured by assets, said largely because of recent changes to its overdraft policy, it will forgo $600 million in revenue this year.

To generate new revenue, Bank of America is quietly testing new pricing models throughout the U.S., with most changes expected in early 2011. Executives have ruled out a flat monthly fee for all customers and are developing a tiered structure that encourages customers to increase banking activity or use other services to avoid future charges.

Bank of America customers who only want a low-volume checking account will likely be asked to pay for it. Fees will likely be waived for customers who keep their balances high, use bank credit cards or tap its investment advisers. Bank executives declined to discuss specifics of the plan saying it is still being formulated.

"Customers will have a choice," Bank of America Chief Accounting Officer Neil Cotty told analysts in April, of "bringing more relationships to us or paying a maintenance fee."

Banks say they stand to lose billions of dollars in revenue from separate new restrictions on credit cards and overdraft transactions that were announced earlier this year. They could lose even more from legislation winding its way through Congress. The Senate version of the financial industry overhaul bill, currently being reconciled with the House version, contains an amendment that could limit fees banks charge to merchants for debit-card transactions.

Financial institutions warn that such a measure would trigger higher fees on basic banking products, as well as the loss of rewards programs that are tied to debit-card use. U.S. banks collected $9.4 billion in banking fees in the first quarter, representing 16.5% of all noninterest income, according to the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation.

The new regulations could reduce the industry's service fee revenues by as much as 20%, according to Sandler O'Neill + Partners, an investment firm that specializes in the banking industry. Bank of America's service charges are 12% of revenues, excluding securities gains, and a 20% drop in such fees would mean a loss of $2.2 billion for the bank, according to Sandler O'Neill.

It isn't clear if new fees under consideration would completely make up for revenue that will be lost as a result of regulation. But banks aren't waiting to find out. "We're not sitting around to get caught off guard," Ed Barham, chief executive of Stellar One Corp., recently told investors. The Charlottesville, Va.-based bank, he said, is "driving other sources of revenue, of fee income at the retail side especially."

Fifth Third Bancorp, a large regional bank based in Cincinnati, dropped its free checking account late last year and now offers packages that bundle checking with other services, such as fraud alerts, debit rewards or brokerage discounts for fees of up to $15 a month. The fee can only be waived with a certain type of checking account.

TCF Financial Corp., a Wayzata, Minn., bank that used "totally free checking" as its slogan, eliminated its free checking account earlier this year and replaced it with an account that charges a monthly $9.95 maintenance fee. The bank will waive the fee if a customer keeps a certain minimum balance or has direct deposit.

Banks typically didn't charge for checking in the 1970s, but began imposing fees in the early 1980s to offset higher interest rates they were paying on savings accounts. That changed in 1986 when TCF began promoting a free checking account. By the late 1990s, most banks had followed suit.

The offers of free checking without any minimum balance requirements attracted a new wave of low-income customers, who previously went to check-cashing stores. Some consumer advocates have warned that the elimination of free checking could drive some of those customers out of the banking system.

From the banks' perspective, though, many of those customers aren't profitable. The recent report from Celent suggested that banks can look beyond checking accounts to impose other fees. The report warned, however, that banks need to be careful not to alienate good customers.

Filed Chapter 7 July 2010
    Attended 341 September 2010
    Discharged November 2010 Closed November 2010

I think this is part of the fed's plot to encourage more speculation and of course create new bubbles to burst.

First they pay 1% on your savings (if you are lucky to even get that), now they charge you more to park your money with them while getting nothing in return.

The only thing left is to buy risky stocks and real estate. It's no accident they are trying to get us out of the banking system.

How else are they going to pay for the pension ponzi schemes? More risky speculation in wall street!

We really need savings more then ever today and they just don't want it to happen.
    The essence of freedom is the proper limitation of Government

Comment

not only that but then they limit how many transactions you can have on those interest bearing accounts. right now the only reason i use a bank is so i am not walking around with a few thousand dollars on me.

if it gets to a point where they start charging big fees again ill just get a little safe for the house and go truly ALL CASH. they they wont see one red cent from me. how many other people would do the same thing? i know i couldnt be the only person that thinks like this.

right now it is just paying for an electronic coffee can or electronic mattress i can do the same thing without them.
      stopped paying 5/16/2010
      filed 8/2/2010
      341 8/31/2010
      Report of no Distribution 9/1/2010 expected discharge 10/31/2010

Comment

Hey---sepiid---how about keeping it under a mattress?

Comment

Of course you know they are making it a little more difficult to keep mattress money too. The problem is not keeping the money, but when you decide to purchase an item like a car or house that requires a lot of cash.

If you have 'green cash' you will have to declare and prove your source of funds if you are getting a loan for the balance. The underwriters make it very difficult if you make a large cash deposit because you have to prove the source of funds and 'from my mattress' is not an acceptable answer.

And of course if you decide to open a bank account deposit more than $10k at a time more paperwork has to be filled out by the bank as to your deposit. The excuse the banking industry uses is either to catch people in "money laundering tactics" or the "Patriot Act". So you are ok as long as you never need a loan.
          Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
          Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

Hi---StartingOver08---always a catch-22 somewhere.

Comment

Or you can deposit up to $5000 in a Roth IRA annual for safe keepings which you can withdraw penalty free after 5 years from date of deposit. Do that each year.

Comment

Just got a new debit card in the mail, as the previous one is expiring. HAD to use it first at the ATM in order to activate it. I didn't want to withdraw or deposit money, so I did a balance inquiry.

When my statement came later that month, they charged $2.50 for the balance inquiry. I guess I should have withdrew $10 and then immediately deposited $10 back in.

Live & learn!
                Filed Chapter 7 July 2010
                Attended 341 September 2010
                Discharged November 2010 Closed November 2010

Comment

Originally posted by keepinitreal View Post
                  Just got a new debit card in the mail, as the previous one is expiring. HAD to use it first at the ATM in order to activate it. I didn't want to withdraw or deposit money, so I did a balance inquiry.

When my statement came later that month, they charged $2.50 for the balance inquiry. I guess I should have withdrew $10 and then immediately deposited $10 back in.

Live & learn!
                  Wow! What bank is that?

I have a Chase debit card and it is $25/yr annual fee (that's new). But so far I have received cash back from Chase more than $100 since Nov 2009 just for using the debit card in normal transactions. No charges for balance inquiry's or any other type of atm use as long as its at an 'approved' atm (Chase/Publix etc).
                  Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
                  Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

I'm confident that the banks will dream up a new 'hidden' fee to trap us.
                    Can you imagine the chaos that might ensue if people actually began using cash (and even, gasp, coins) instead of debit cards (signature debit).
                    The heart grows dark with fear for our beloved banks. They will innovate.
                    filed chapter 13..confirmed...converted to chapter 7...DISCHARGED!

Comment

Originally posted by jacko View Post
                      Or you can deposit up to $5000 in a Roth IRA annual for safe keepings which you can withdraw penalty free after 5 years from date of deposit. Do that each year.

Before locking any cash in a CD it would be wise to make sure it's a sound financial institution. Bankrate.com supposedly has ratings system. Not sure how accurate this is though.

With the FDIC "insurance fund" flat broke and it just burned though the 3 year advance it asked the banks for I am surprised we haven't seen any run on the banks.

There's a very small, now bankrupt FDIC insuring deposits of over a trillion dollars.

This one my friends is going to get ugly. Good thing for them most of the sheeple don't care about this today. One friday after the markets close and the broke FDIC takes over the sheeple will then see just how fleeced they have become.
                      The essence of freedom is the proper limitation of Government

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X