Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EEOC Sues Company for Using Credit History in Hiring Decisions

December 22, 2010

Sending a sharp warning to employers nationwide, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission sued the Kaplan Higher Education Corporation on Tuesday, accusing it of discriminating against black job applicants through the way it uses credit histories in its hiring process.

The lawsuit, an unusual intervention by the federal government on the issue, comes amid rising concerns that employers are denying jobs to applicants with damaged credit histories, even in cases where creditworthiness does not appear to be directly relevant to the job.

Several states, including Hawaii, Washington, Oregon and Illinois, have banned or severely limited the use of credit reports in hiring, partly out of worry that the practice could prevent unemployed, financially pressed Americans from getting back into the work force. Other states and Congress have considered similar laws.

Private and government surveys have suggested that about half of all employers use credit histories in at least some hiring decisions.

Justine Lisser, an E.E.O.C. spokeswoman, said that credit histories were often inaccurate and might not be a good indicator of a person’s qualifications for a particular job. “Credit histories were not compiled to show responsibility,” she said. “They were compiled to show whether or not someone was paying the bills, which is not always the same thing.”

In the E.E.O.C.’s suit, which was filed in federal district court in Cleveland, the agency said that since at least January 2008, Kaplan had rejected job applicants based on their credit history, with a “significant disparate impact” on blacks.

“This practice has an unlawful discriminatory impact because of race and is neither job-related nor justified by business necessity,” the commission said. The agency did not specify what types of jobs were involved.

Kaplan, which is owned by the Washington Post Company, operates a chain of for-profit colleges and training schools around the country. The parent company’s shares fell more than 2 percent in Tuesday trading.

In a statement, Kaplan said, “We are an equal opportunity employer, and we are proud of the diversity of our work force.”

The company added that it typically conducted background checks on all prospective employees. “The checks are job-related and a necessity for our organization to ensure that staff handling financial matters, including financial aid, are properly screened,” Kaplan said. Kaplan and other for-profit education companies have come under intense scrutiny from the federal government because of concerns that the industry leaves too many students unable to repay large federally backed education loans, while providing them with little help in finding jobs. The Department of Education has proposed regulations that would cut off federal financing to for-profit education companies whose graduates have high debt-to-income ratios and low repayment rates.

The federal lawsuit is seeking a permanent injunction to stop Kaplan’s use of credit histories in hiring and other employment decisions. The agency is also seeking lost wages and benefits for people who were not hired because of Kaplan’s use of credit reports to screen applicants, and it wants Kaplan to make employment offers to those individuals.

Michael J. Zimmer, a professor of employment law at Loyola University in Chicago, said that, under federal law, “if an employment practice has a disparate impact on a certain race, you have a case.” He said that the E.E.O.C. would not have brought the case unless it had reviewed statistics about Kaplan’s hiring.

“I think the issue is going to boil down to whether it’s justified as job-related and necessary for business,” he said. “That’s the defense’s standard in a disparate impact case.”

The E.E.O.C. typically brings discrimination cases only when it is convinced that serious abuse has occurred. Ms. Lisser said that 99,000 charges were filed with the E.E.O.C. in its most recent fiscal year, but the agency filed just 250 lawsuits that year, usually in what it saw as especially strong or significant cases. The agency said the Kaplan case was only the third time it has sued over the misuse of credit reports in employment.

In a recent letter to the agency, the Consumer Data Industry Association strongly defended using credit histories in hiring decisions. It told the agency that employers tried hard to create working environments that were free from fraud and theft.

In that letter, Eric J. Ellman, the association’s vice president for public policy and legal affairs, said, “In a climate of economic uncertainty, where employers are likely choosing from a large employment pool, they need to be critically careful about protecting their businesses and their customers.”

Mr. Ellman noted that the use of credit reports for employment purposes was legally protected and that “credit reports for employment purposes are reliable predictors of risk.”

“Many safeguards exist for employers to ensure that credit information is used where it is job-related and consistent with business necessity,” he concluded in his letter to the agency.

But Ms. Lisser, the E.E.O.C. spokeswoman, vigorously disagreed. “It’s not clear that employers who are relying on credit histories know if someone has never paid a bill for 10 years or if someone was a very responsible bill payer for years until they lost a job or someone in their family had a medical emergency and they suddenly couldn’t make a payment. We don’t think it’s a good marker for responsibility in employment,” she said.

Filed Chapter 7 July 2010
    Attended 341 September 2010
    Discharged November 2010 Closed November 2010

I don't think I'm educated enough in the area to comment on whether this is a "race issue" or not, but I think the whole credit-check BS for employment if you are not directly responsible for the finances is ridiculous. What a catch 22. My credit sucks BECAUSE I became unemployed, yet, you won't employ me because my credit sucks? WTH??? It's almost as ridiculous as the new bankruptcy laws. . .
    Filed Ch. 7 11/8/10: Survived 341 Meeting 12/13/10 Report of No Distribution!! 12/14/10Received UST Presumption of Abuse!! 12/15/10 UST states Dismissal is Inappropriate! DISHARGED!! 2/22/11

Comment

Now if only they would stop insurance companies from being allowed to use credit rating to determine if a person is a "risk" on the road. Credit should be for obtaining credit.... and that is it.
      My kids better not put my FICO score on my headstone~ (quote by dspii)

Comment

I wish this case would have a broader impact. Even if they win, it will not mean that employers cannot use credit histories. It will mean that they cannot use credit histories if doing so ends up discriminating against a protected class (i.e. minorities). It will be more an issue of "how" credit histories are used, not whether to use them.

But, good to see something happening on this front.

I agree with the above comment, it is too easy to discriminate based on a credit history when there is NO logical or rational basis for such discrimination.
        Last edited by HHM; 12-29-2010, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by clevelandmom View Post
          I don't think I'm educated enough in the area to comment on whether this is a "race issue" or not, but I think the whole credit-check BS for employment if you are not directly responsible for the finances is ridiculous. What a catch 22. My credit sucks BECAUSE I became unemployed, yet, you won't employ me because my credit sucks? WTH??? It's almost as ridiculous as the new bankruptcy laws. . .
          I agree with your post. I do believe blacks get discriminated against and have a major uphill battle, just like the elderly and so many other groups of people. The credit check is pure B.S. It takes someone that is already at rock bottom and buries them with cement so they can't climb out of the hole.

I understand if someone has a criminal history, then that could be a factor, but credit history with most jobs, come on.

Companies checking credit history was the major factor which caused me to delay filing BK in the first place.

I HOPE THE REST OF THE COUNTRY PASSES LAWS PROTECTING JOB APPLICANTS FROM THIS UNFAIR PRACTICE. WHAT'S NEXT, HOOKING US UP TO A POLYGRAPH, INSERTING GPS TRACKING CHIPS, INSTALLING VIDEO CAMS ONTO OUR BODIES WITH 24/7 INTERNET MONITORING ACCESS???

Comment

I know it's not a popular or politically correct opinion to hold, but hold it I do: That people should be allowed to run their businesses as they see fit. That if a business owner doesn't want to hire people with bad credit or bald heads or crooked noses or fat a$$e$ or what-have-you, that it's his business, and not my business and not some nanny-state bureaucrat's business.

Now, that being said, is it morally wrong to treat people differently because of their characteristics that would not affect their job performance? I think it is, and that's how I run my business. Is it economically disadvantageous to narrow a potential hiring pool by whole swaths of people based on their credit scores or their race? No doubt about it. But until I have some skin in this business man's game, I don't have any moral authority to tell him how to make his hiring decisions.
            Pay no attention to anything I post. I graduated last in my class from a fly-by-night law school that no longer exists; I never studied or went to class; and I only post on internet forums when I'm too drunk to crawl away from the computer.

Comment

Ha if your credit history is bad you are worse off than a criminal. After all depending on the circumstances a criminal can have his/her record sealed/expunged I don't remember being able to expunge my credit report after filing bk or having a rough go of it for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by MSbklawyer View Post
                I know it's not a popular or politically correct opinion to hold, but hold it I do: That people should be allowed to run their businesses as they see fit. That if a business owner doesn't want to hire people with bad credit or bald heads or crooked noses or fat a$$e$ or what-have-you, that it's his business, and not my business and not some nanny-state bureaucrat's business.

Now, that being said, is it morally wrong to treat people differently because of their characteristics that would not affect their job performance? I think it is, and that's how I run my business. Is it economically disadvantageous to narrow a potential hiring pool by whole swaths of people based on their credit scores or their race? No doubt about it. But until I have some skin in this business man's game, I don't have any moral authority to tell him how to make his hiring decisions.
                I would actually agree with you if the country was to be run this way, but it isn't. Not right now anyway.

I don't agree with the use of credit scores unless it is a bona fide requirement for employment. But I don't think it is the government's business.

But we have minimum wage laws, overtime laws, etc. Saying the government cannot ban the use of credit scores would be a pretty arbitrary place to draw the line?

FYI, I think disparate impact is pure garbage.

Comment

I hope this case has a national impact too and helps to put a stop to these unfair practices. Besides, since it was filed in the district court in Cleveland, it would be nice to be known for something else for a change and not just our lousy sports teams.
                  Filed Ch. 7 11/8/10: Survived 341 Meeting 12/13/10 Report of No Distribution!! 12/14/10Received UST Presumption of Abuse!! 12/15/10 UST states Dismissal is Inappropriate! DISHARGED!! 2/22/11

Comment

Originally posted by pavlikclan View Post
                    Ha if your credit history is bad you are worse off than a criminal. After all depending on the circumstances a criminal can have his/her record sealed/expunged I don't remember being able to expunge my credit report after filing bk or having a rough go of it for a while.
                    This also makes me think about corporations that declare bankruptcy, yet are able to keep on running without problems. Take GM, the banks, Donald Trump, and the list goes on. Why is it ok for corporations and those powerful rich and elite to declare bankruptcy and not have all the future problems that we have.

These entities strategically plot and use BK to their advantage, while we use it once in our lifetime to simply survive.

Comment

Originally posted by MSbklawyer View Post

Small businesses can already hire whoever they wish. I think if its under 15 employees, the government can't force them to hire based on a number of circumstances. Thankfully this changes when the number an organization employs gets higher, otherwise imagine all the discrimination that could occur and on such a massive level.

I know discrimination already occurs under dozens of categories, but at least it forces those that do it to be really careful and fearful of whistleblowers that can bring them down.

Comment

Well this is twice for me. Very much not what I want to do but I see no other choice. I lived within my means, had decent savings, and then the economy came crashing down around us. 45k in pay cuts in 2 years.

What you say is true though corporations declare bk all the time and just keep on truckin. Us lowly common folk well it's just not the same for us.

Comment

Originally posted by helpme2010 View Post
                          This also makes me think about corporations that declare bankruptcy, yet are able to keep on running without problems. Take GM, the banks, Donald Trump, and the list goes on. Why is it ok for corporations and those powerful rich and elite to declare bankruptcy and not have all the future problems that we have.

These entities strategically plot and use BK to their advantage, while we use it once in our lifetime to simply survive.
                          Apples and oranges. Chapter 11 reorganizations allow a company to stay in business, keep many of their employees, and recover. You would rather all businesses declare Chapter 7, sell all their assets, fire all their employees, and go out of business?

Some corporations fail and vanish, many are bought at bargain prices, and some succeed after business bankruptcy. If you want all business bankruptcies to suffer, there would today be none of these companies left (and the millions they employ):

General Motors Corporation
                          Chrysler LLC
                          Texaco, Inc (later merged with Chevron)
                          Pacific Gas and Electric Co.
                          UAL Corp.
                          Delta Air Lines, Inc.
                          Lehman Brothers Holdings
                          CIT Group, Inc
                          Delphi Corporation

and thousands of smaller companies. Companies declare Ch.11 for the same reason individuals declare Ch. 13 and Ch.7 - to reduce their debts and liabilities and get a fresh start. I see nothing unfair about that.
                          “When fascism comes to America, it’ll be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross” — Sinclair Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by HHM View Post
                            I wish this case would have a broader impact. Even if they win, it will not mean that employers cannot use credit histories. It will mean that they cannot use credit histories if doing so ends up discriminating against a protected class (i.e. minorities). It will be more an issue of "how" credit histories are used, not whether to use them.

But, good to see something happening on this front.

I agree with the above comment, it is too easy to discriminate based on a credit history when there is NO logical or rational basis for such discrimination.
                            It may not have a broad impact at this time. But it will open a door for later action.

Comment

Unless the job in question is financial in nature, then I can see using a credit check as part of the hiring process. Other then that, it shouldn't apply at all.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X