Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

U.S. loses AAA credit rating from S&P

August 5, 2011

NEW YORK (Reuters) - The United States lost its top-notch AAA credit rating from Standard & Poor's on Friday in an unprecedented reversal of fortune for the world's largest economy.

S&P cut the long-term U.S. credit rating by one notch to AA-plus on concerns about the government's budget deficits and rising debt burden. The move is likely to raise borrowing costs eventually for the American government, companies and consumers.

"The downgrade reflects our opinion that the fiscal consolidation plan that Congress and the Administration recently agreed to falls short of what, in our view, would be necessary to stabilize the government's medium-term debt dynamics," S&P said in a statement.

The decision follows a bitter political battle in Congress over cutting spending and raising taxes to reduce the government's debt burden and allow its statutory borrowing limit to be raised.

On August 2 President Barack Obama signed legislation designed to reduce the fiscal deficit by $2.1 trillion over 10 years. But that was well short of the $4 trillion in savings S&P had called for as a good "down payment" on fixing America's finances.

The political gridlock in Washington and the failure to seriously address U.S. long-term fiscal problems came against the backdrop of slowing U.S. economic growth and led to the worst week in the U.S. stock market in two years this week.

The S&P 500 stock index fell 10.8 percent in the past 10 trading days on concerns that the U.S. economy may head into another recession and because the European debt crisis has been growing worse as it spreads to Italy.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is only the beginning as Barry, The House and Congress did nothing to help the situation at hand.
    Last edited by AngelinaCat; 08-05-2011, 07:10 PM. Reason: To bring it in line with the specific formatting required for this board. OP, please note.

Wow.
    Filed August 20 341 on September 23 Report of No Distribution - September 24 Case Discharged and Closed on November 23!!!

Comment

What this pretty much means is you will see even more inflation then we have seen in the past year. The US will have to pay higher interest rates to borrow money, so instead it will print money and it will kill us all with high inflation.

Get ready for $5 gallon gas!
      Last edited by banca rotta; 08-05-2011, 06:22 PM.
      The essence of freedom is the proper limitation of Government

Comment

Between the markets diving yesterday and the downgrade today I hope Obama is enjoying his birthday...

Comment

I was going to say that the value of the US dollar is down the tubes.
          Filed August 20 341 on September 23 Report of No Distribution - September 24 Case Discharged and Closed on November 23!!!

Comment

Notice how they announce this Friday after the markets close. If any of you are holding stocks whether directly or in your 401k you can rest assure it will tank on Monday.

If I am wrong (and I sure hope I am) I will be surprised.

There's a lot of foreign and domestic institutions such as insurance companies, pensions, banks, etc. that are by law only allowed to invest in AAA securities. Now that the treasury lost that status from this ratings agency they could possibly be forced to sell.

Oh boy!

Here get a look at Obama's hand picked tax cheat and what he had to say about this last year.

Last edited by banca rotta; 08-05-2011, 06:59 PM.

Comment

He is current on his taxes. A tax cheat is one who has not paid his/her taxes, he has.

But is a different story in your case when you screwed your creditors?

Originally posted by banca rotta View Post
              Notice how they announce this Friday after the markets close. If any of you are holding stocks whether directly or in your 401k you can rest assure it will tank on Monday.

If I am wrong (and I sure hope I am) I will be surprised.

There's a lot of foreign and domestic institutions such as insurance companies, pensions, banks, etc. that are by law only allowed to invest in AAA securities. Now that the treasury lost that status from this ratings agency they could possibly be forced to sell.

Oh boy!

Here get a look at Obama's hand picked tax cheat and what he had to say about this last year.

http://abcnews.go.com/ThisWeek/video...rating-9770523

Comment

That is what we get for an administration, house and congress that is full of crooks.

Hope and change is turning into hope everyone can stay afloat after this latest debacle. If/when we devalue the dollar is when the fun really begins.

Comment

Originally posted by jacko View Post
                  He is current on his taxes. A tax cheat is one who has not paid his/her taxes, he has.

But is a different story in your case when you screwed your creditors?

You guys will really defend this bunch of criminals and liars right down to the moment the ship takes in water and the circling sharks bite you in half.

And you wonder why some of us feel there's little hope for anything positive.

I was an "honest but unfortunate debtor" no different then most of you. These guys are just a bunch of no good frauds.

Comment

Wow, banca...

Does this mean that the fabulous deal on raising the debt limit that representatives of both parties have agreed on has actually failed to yield any results in the real world?

Shocking, I tell ya...

Good luck to us all.
                    No person in their right mind files a Ch. 13 with lien strip pro se. I have.Therefore, please consider me insane and clinically certifiable when reading my posts, and DO NOT take them as legal advice of any kind.Thank you.

Comment

I suppose the American people didn't have anything to do with it either?

Originally posted by Meatstick View Post
                      That is what we get for an administration, house and congress that is full of crooks.

Hope and change is turning into hope everyone can stay afloat after this latest debacle. If/when we devalue the dollar is when the fun really begins.

Comment

Please. The seeds for this downgrade were planted 30 years ago. Americans were sold that services and infrastructure need not be paid for 100%. Its time we look in the mirror individually. We are no different when we ran up our CC's and now seeking BK discharge. I view the downgrade as opportunity to load up on dividend stocks once the bottom hits.

Originally posted by banca rotta View Post
                        You guys will really defend this bunch of criminals and liars right down to the moment the ship takes in water and the circling sharks bite you in half.

And you wonder why some of us feel there's little hope for anything positive.

I was an "honest but unfortunate debtor" no different then most of you. These guys are just a bunch of no good frauds.

Comment

The average American has little to do with it except the fact the same bozo's keep getting re-elected. The general public doesn't vote on foreign-aid, wars or pork barrel projects projects to name just a few. Both sides have spent recklessly but as you stated if you have cash on hand the stock market can be very appealing if you can gage where the bottom is.

Comment

My rep is not a bozo. The American people are wishy washy in what they want. Each want services but not for their neighbors. Congress lately has had huge turnovers and that will continue in 12. The general public indirectly votes for those when their rep gets elected/re-elected. Were not as good as the Germans who have it all figured out.

Comment

Originally posted by shark66 View Post
                              Wow, banca...

Does this mean that the fabulous deal on raising the debt limit that representatives of both parties have agreed on has actually failed to yield any results in the real world?

Shocking, I tell ya...

Good luck to us all.

All raising the debt limit did was authorize congress to apply for more credit. Now that they can legally apply for new credit they must get approved for all of this new debt they take on.

They will most likely get approved at a higher interest rate due to the downgrade and it will cost tax payers probably 100 billion or more a year in interest and this will rise as the debt gets rolled over.

The fed can loan the money at less then 1% as they currently are, but that type of inflation will destroy what little disposable income we have. If you currently have no disposable income to destroy the high inflation will be more devistating.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X