X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10 Secrets of Debt Collectors

10 Secrets of Debt Collectors

September 26, 2011

1. They teach us that all debtors are compulsive liars, and no matter what you tell us, we’re supposed to keep pushing.
    So we ask, Can you borrow the money from friends and family? Can you take money out of your 401k? Can you pay it with another credit card? All horrible ideas that would make a good financial planner cringe.

2. Like us or not, we’re a vital part of keeping the cash flow going in this country.
    In 2010, more than 10,000 collection agencies collected over $8 billion. Can you imagine the impact on the economy -- and on all the companies that were owed money -- if that $8 billion hadn’t been collected?

3. We’ve heard every tale of woe.
    We may listen and act sympathetic, but in our notes, all those excuses are summed up as HLS, for “hard-luck story.” You’re wasting our time, and time is money.

4. The more money I get out of you, the bigger my bonus will be.
    Every month, we watch top performers get bonus checks of $10,000 or more.

PLUS: What Your House Cleaner Isn't Telling You

5. We also have an astounding power to wipe out thousands of dollars of your debt.
    Most accounts have a one-time settlement rate that’s preapproved (typically 15 to 35 percent on credit card debt).

6. A lot of agencies buy debt for pennies on the dollar, so always start your settlement offer low, maybe 25 cents on the dollar.
    Say something like “I have $200 that I can apply toward this debt. Will you accept that as payment in full?” If I say no, ask what I’m willing to accept as a settlement and negotiate from there.

7. Sometimes when we’re negotiating, I’ll say I have to get a manager involved, and then I’ll have another collector be the “bad cop.”
    The theory is that just having another voice on the line will open up your wallet.

8. Always check whether the debt has passed the statute of limitations in your state (see a list at creditcards.com). If it has, we can’t sue you or put it in your credit report.
    However, if you make any kind of payment or even acknowledge the debt, that usually starts the clock over.

9. If you decide to settle, I am trained to “take your application.”
    In a bored voice, I ask for your cell number, your spouse’s work phone, and so on, as if I’m filling out a form. But it’s just a way to get the information we need to find you in case the settlement falls through.

10. We love calling you at work because of the extra pressure it puts on you.
    If you specifically ask us not to, by law we have to stop, but we’re not going to tell you that.

1. of course
    2. Total BS, in a 14 trillion dollar economy, $8 billion would hardly be miessed
    3. of course
    4. of course
    5. yep, that is a typical range.
    6. yep
    7. typical
    8. good advice, but SOL, is ONLY a defense to the lawsuit, the writer left out the part that they can keep calling you (at least in most states).
    9. of course
    10. of course

Comment

Originally posted by HHM View Post
      2. Total BS, in a 14 trillion dollar economy, $8 billion would hardly be miessed

Especially when the banks play by the same rules as Monopoly.

Loaded up on credit card debt with a house you can't afford and still dying to make a deal? Blame those childhood board games!

Monopoly has taught us that financial institutions are invincible.
      The game's banker cannot go bankrupt, according to the rules: "The Bank never 'goes broke.' If the Bank runs out of money, the Banker may issue as much as needed by writing on any ordinary paper."

The essence of freedom is the proper limitation of Government

Comment

My response to #2: Yes, I can imagine. Instead of going into the pockets of the collectors, the money would have gone into the pockets of merchants when the debtor bought needed items. And that has to be better for the economy than giving the money to a collector.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X