cat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cat

Guys, can I ask for some general wisdom again here - I guess some of you are cat owners from your avatars...

I've had a few cats - one found by spouse when cat was born - we raised her and she lived to be 19!!!

Cat #2 - literally got up one day and died - 5yrs old - kidney faliure.

Current cat - when we adopted him, he had been "returned" twice. We THINK he's 10 (spayed).

This cat always ate like a horse - very sweet (stupid) but sweet.

This past week like you threw a switch the following has happened:

1) breath so bad it smells like a dead sewer

2) stopped eating

3) he has become literally skin and bones

4) pees everywhere

Any thoughts?

I have to be honest here - we can't afford massive treatments...according to vet's opinion, probably liver failure (she said her cat went (and others she has seen) the same way...)

Any experiences?

we're going to wait until the weekend and....

Pretty typical symptoms of kidney failure.
    Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

Thank you Ohio!!!!!!!!!!!! - including the horrendous breath? And I mean it's so bad, it'll knock you off your feet...

And I take it what has to be done has to be done...

Comment

I don't have a cat but I have a dog and these are def. signs of kidney failure but could be symptoms of other things as well ... it could be acute or chronic KF ...could be acute for instance- if the cat got into something poisonous ...only way to know for sure would be to take the cat to a vet and have bloodwork and a urinalysis done... there's a lot of info. on the internet however sometimes too much and it becomes confusing ....

Comment

Originally posted by KnOmom View Post
          I don't have a cat but I have a dog and these are def. signs of kidney failure but could be symptoms of other things as well ... it could be acute or chronic KF ...could be acute for instance- if the cat got into something poisonous ...only way to know for sure would be to take the cat to a vet and have bloodwork and a urinalysis done... there's a lot of info. on the internet however sometimes too much and it becomes confusing ....
          THANKS!!!! There sure is...thing is, there's nothing for him to get into that he can reach - and he can't open containers...the thing is, that TODAY for the full checkout/checkup I'm looking at $500 or so...and I have to get some $$ together for my son - going to college next year...I don't have many options...

Comment

$500 for vet visit, bloodwork and a urinalysis? wow, where do you live? that seems really expensive. I have had my dog at the vet lots over the past few months. They thought he had kidney disease at first. None of my regular visits have come close to that amount. We did end up paying $500 for an internal spec evaluation and an ultrasound and then dropped 2k on a splenectomy recently. But for what you are looking at no way should it cost you $500...

Comment

In very high cost area - $60 for "office visit"

$60-$100 for blood/urine tests....

so basically $200 even before they say anything

When dog had some tummy infection that was $200 plus the meds...

Banfield is just a bit cheaper.

QUOTE=IamOld;551104]THANKS!!!! There sure is...thing is, there's nothing for him to get into that he can reach - and he can't open containers...the thing is, that TODAY for the full checkout/checkup I'm looking at $500 or so...and I have to get some $$ together for my son - going to college next year...I don't have many options...[/QUOTE]

Comment

that's sad...office visits here are anywhere $40-$50, the blood tests are usually right around $100 for a cbc panel...for a superchem at about $115 and than you can usually add on a urinalysis for $20-25 more.....sometimes there are coupons from local vet offices on-line for a free office visit...you might look up a few vets in your area and go to their websites and see if they have a coupon for a free visit...xrays here run around 90-125..sometimes those are necessary to DX kidney failure...it does get expense to have a pet thats for sure...we have two dogs and I wouldn't trade them for the world ...but they do come with a lot of resp. and sometimes a high price...good luck with your kitty...you might also check around your area and see if any rescue groups might be able to help you with vet bills...

Comment

Many times, liver failure causes jaundice just like in humans. You can see discoloration inside the ears, whites of the eyes, or penis area if it is a boy of course. Just something to check. Best of luck, my heart goes out to you and your cat.

Kidney failure tends to bring on increased thirst, as the body tried to compensate.
                  Last edited by NoMoreCards; 12-01-2011, 12:26 PM.
                  8-07-09-filed Chapter 7
                  11-18-09-DISCHARGED!!

Life is not what challenges you face, but how you face those challenges.

Comment

Thanks!!!!! knOmom - well, the only other vet here is Banfield and other vets are more expensive - the prices are because of a "discount" we get because they "work" on our dog...

Deep breath...we'll see - the other thing is we physically can't get the cat in anywhere until the weekend...

Comment

THANK YOU!!!! I'll check his eyes when I get home...if they're yellowish ... well then we know...

Originally posted by NoMoreCards View Post
                      Many times, liver failure causes jaundice just like in humans. You can see discoloration inside the ears, whites of the eyes, or penis area if it is a boy of course. Just something to check. Best of luck, my heart goes out to you and your cat.

Comment

jaundice has to do with the liver and not the kidney's...that's a horrible discount they are giving you...sometimes a local vet will work with you and let you pay each month or a little over time..our animal speciality hospital is working with us on our dog's surgery...call around and ask..it wouldn't hurt...I hate to think of your kitty being in pain or being sick...two days is a long time for him to have to suffer...

Comment

Originally posted by KnOmom View Post
                          jaundice has to do with the liver and not the kidney's...that's a horrible discount they are giving you...sometimes a local vet will work with you and let you pay each month or a little over time..our animal speciality hospital is working with us on our dog's surgery...call around and ask..it wouldn't hurt...I hate to think of your kitty being in pain or being sick...two days is a long time for him to have to suffer...
                          I did state liver failure in my post.
                          8-07-09-filed Chapter 7
                          11-18-09-DISCHARGED!!

Life is not what challenges you face, but how you face those challenges.

Comment

I agree KnoMOM - but Banfield has NO openings, and the local vet - well let's just say that we've had our differences...I think tomorrow when my son gets home from school he'll run the cat over to the vet...and then we'll see.....

Unfortunately in this area...no installment payments... pay or ELSE!

Mostly he just sleeps now...

Comment

Originally posted by NoMoreCards View Post
                              I did state liver failure in my post.
                              Right guys, no worries.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X