NPR should get a Pulitzer for this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NPR should get a Pulitzer for this

By Dave Winer on Friday, December 09, 2011 at 10:13 AM.
    The Republicans have a mantra about taxes on the rich. It goes like this.

1. Many of them are small business owners who have not incorporated, so the profit and loss of their businesses are reported on their personal tax forms.

2. These people create jobs.

3. It's "intuitive" that if taxes were to go up they'd have less incentive to grow their businesses and therefore would not create as many jobs.

When I hear this it makes me pretty angry, esp when the reporters just pass it through without checking to see if it's true. As a person who has run small businesses that create jobs, I had a pretty good idea it was wrong.

First, how many Republican politicians are business people? If they aren't how could they know what's intuitive for business people?

Second, I've never based business decisions on how much I would pay in taxes.

But NPR did something that in a world-run-right would be run-of-the-mill journalism. They checked with the sources.

They asked the Republicans for names of small business people they could interview that would confirm what they say. How many did they get? Zero. They also asked some of the lobbying groups that say the same thing. Again, no introductions. So they went online and looked for some small business people to interview, and got the same answer over and over. They played the interviews. It was inspiring! They're trying to win, in business, not win in taxes. When they have a chance to grow -- they grow, and they don't worry about whether they'll pay more or less taxes. A couple of them said taxes are too low and they worry about the country, and they would happily pay more.

That's what I love about business people. It's an art and a sport. It's best played by creative people, not bean counters, and certainly not politicians.

The Republicans have some other motive, and NPR finally had the guts to call them on it. And they did it the way it should be done. Not with a he-said-she-said piece. Those are cheap and easy. They actually went to the sources and found out.

Give these guys a prize!!

You have an interesting perspective since I can forthrightly say that EVERY SINGLE capital budgeting decision I have ever discussed with a businessperson has ALWAYS included the analysis of the taxes that would be paid. Perhaps the general lack of consideration by small businesses for the taxes to be paid is a contributing factor to why so many small businesses fail.

Comment

NPR is noted for bias on the Liberal side. So, are they again lying or who did they ask and why did they not name them? The old days reporters were just that, they 'say' the news. Today the Liberal Press interprets and slants the news. Even Fox does although a whole lot less. Put all politicians into a box and shake them up, pull one out and you wont see a dimes worth difference whatever party they are in. In my whole voting life, I have voted once FOR a person instead of voting for the lessor of the evils. Too bad it was Ross perrot.

Now I have to find myself voting for ABO. Anybody But Obama, just to keep the system we fought in many wars from being developed here. I hated the Bushes all three of them, and when they coined the name "HOMELAND Security" it sounded like NAZI name for the "FATHERLAND" when Hitler invaded Austria to take their Father lands back for "GROWING ROOM".

It terrifies me to see such a parallel in History as is now happening. 'Hub
      If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

The replubicans always say they are for the small business and creating jobs while the dems always say they are for the little guy and want to help them all.

Most adults at this point realize it's all BS!
        The essence of freedom is the proper limitation of Government

Comment

Originally posted by banca rotta View Post
          The replubicans always say they are for the small business and creating jobs while the dems always say they are for the little guy and want to help them all.

Most adults at this point realize it's all BS!
          I'll second that! But, how do you class an adult? Too bad an IQ test is not required to vote. Most VOTERS are looking at which guy looks "cool", not what is in their heads and hearts.

Even now, the Republicans are leading us towards a leftest candidate Romney. They were successful in whacking Caine out, now Newt is the target. Romney has been left alone.

It's all a big club. Our vacationer in Chief is absent more than he is doing his job. His job is figurehead, his commie buddies and half the Congress bobble their heads to Obama's Tele prompter.

I fear for this Country and I see the last "free" election if allowed. 'Hub
          If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Let me put it this way, taxes do hurt.

I am not presently self employed, but income tax and associated payroll withholding (Medicare and SS), combined, are my largest monthly expense, by far, even larger than my mortgage. That is just wrong.

I think many people really don't track it like I do, they probably simply enter there net paycheck amount, and then deduct living expenses, but if you enter the gross amount and then deduct the amount paid in tax and withholding, you will discover, it's a pretty big chunk of your total income. Taxes significantly interfere with economic consumption.

One of my favorite moving sayings, from the Movie Swimming with Sharks, "if you are not a rebel at 20, you have no heart; but if you are not establishment by 30, you have no brain"
            Last edited by HHM; 12-10-2011, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HHM View Post
              Let me put it this way, taxes do hurt.

I am not presently self employed, but income tax and associated payroll withholding (Medicare and SS), combined, are my largest monthly expense, by far, even larger than my mortgage. That is just wrong.

I think many people really don't track it like I do, they probably simply enter there net paycheck amount, and then deduct living expenses, but if you enter the gross amount and then deduct the amount paid in tax and withholding, you will discover, it's a pretty big chunk of your total income.
              Mine is also by far my greatest expense, more than my mortgage by a factor of 3! I could drive a ferrari for what I pay in taxes. (and that doesn't even include the employers share)

Every month there is more than a $7000 gap between my gross pay and what I get to take home. Mostly taxes (don't get me started on the health insurance premiums)

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X