Advanta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advanta

Advanta's indians have been calling nonstop since I stopped paying. So far I've missed only one payment. Sometimes when I'm on the phone with one rep, another is trying to 'beep' in. Some days I answer just so they know that they can get ahold of me. I give them the standard statements ie money is very tight right now, I'll try to make a payment soon....that type of thing. They try to nail me down into making a payment today, which I basically just keep repeating variations of the "I'll try" or "hopefully soon" statements.

So today, John calls. Same story...this is a recorded line blah blah. I give him the same vague statements. He then says "OK I can make all these phonecalls stop. You just need to commit to making a payment by 2/2." I respond with my same "I hope to be able to make a payment soon, blah blah" and he says "OK I'll put it down as you will make payment on 2/2". Our conversation ended and Advanta hasn't called back.

Now knowing that I did not commit to anything and the call was allegedly recorded, I'm not worried about anything when I fail to make payment. I did however, enjoy the silence of this afternoon. In the future if I did commit to making a payment by such and such a date, and then fail to do so, how if at all would that impact my future BK?

From what I've read... no impact at all. But once you tell them you will make a payment by such and such a date and then don't do it, they will likely be worse to deal with later. I would just stick with the line of "I'll let you know if anything changes" and figure out the best way to ignore the calls.
    BKForum Blog: The Journey

sigpic

Comment

I've basically just been unplugging the phone when needed. Advanta has been the most aggressive so far, and their balance is only just over $5k. I'm trying to stall my filing for awhile to gain greater seperation between my last large BT's on other cards... I don't want Advanta serving me and forcing me to file so that's why I answer the phone a couple times a week. I'm not sure if I'm actually preventing or stalling any further action on their part by answering or if I'd be in the same spot had I simply left the phone unplugged. My goal is to make it to August before filing on CC's that I stopped all payments on in January. From what I've been reading here, it seems doable (I hope).

Comment

We had our first delinquent payment back in May 08, and we haven't even had anything charged off yet, although I'm told that's about to change. My strategy has been to call (or pick up the creditors call) about every 2-3 weeks, which is more than enough! No need to talk to them a few times a week!

sigpic

Comment

Advanta has been calling me non stop also and I owe them a whopping $550.00 lol
          But I have to say Jeff who has been leaving messages for me is the nicest man.. OMG he is unbelievle..so nice and sincere that I actually called him back this a.m. Luckily he was busy so I left a voicemail I just had to tell him how sweet he is and if Advanta was my only debt it would be a no brainer..I understand you have to do what you have to do, but I have no money and Im in a big black hole and it sucks to be me now..then I started to cry and hung up...
          I really just wanted him to know how much I appreciated his kindness over the phone. Not many like that around doing that kind of job...I guess Im just a softie

Comment

Read the debt collectors manual; it's floating around here somewhere. It discusses all the tactics debt collectors use, including getting you to promise to pay on a certain date. If you don't pay, the next move is to essentially call you a liar (in nice terms) to try to guilt trip you into paying.

If you are having issues, read it. It will make you feel much better.
            So the poor debtor, seeing naught around him
            Yet feels the narrow limits that impound him
            Grieves at his debt and studies to evade it
            And finds at last he might as well have paid it.

Comment

Originally posted by Trixie007 View Post
              We had our first delinquent payment back in May 08, and we haven't even had anything charged off yet, although I'm told that's about to change. My strategy has been to call (or pick up the creditors call) about every 2-3 weeks, which is more than enough! No need to talk to them a few times a week!
              Hi Trixie,

Are you dealing with most national credit card companies?
              I have 2 accounts with capitol one,2 BofA,Chase,Citi,and Barclay.
              My Mother passed away in June (God I miss her and need her right now) and split a life insurance benefit with my sister and 2 brothers.

We all received about $2800 and after paying bills from her savings I received another $4800 we have been using to bridge the monthly short falls to pay our bills.

I had planned to pay thru Febuary then quit in March.
              Last card use was in the middle of January.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is how will this money affect my trying for a ch7?

Also I will be losing my job in late April my company is closing down.
              So I'll be on unemployment.

I wanted to hold off filing until about September or longer if i can.

Sorry for babbling Just don't really know where I stand and I'm getting nervous because I just can't keep up with the payments anymore.
              Filed July 7,2009
              341 August 24,2009 (completed)
              Discharged 10-28-09(Thank You Lord.)
              Case closed 10-29-2009

Comment

If you can't keep up with the payments then it's probably time to stop paying them entirely. You should be able to make it to September no problem. Have the rates jacked up yet? I am about 3-4 months out on mine so far and just the annoying phone calls, which I can take because I know it's not worth sending money to stop them!
                filed chapter 13..confirmed...converted to chapter 7...DISCHARGED!

Comment

I have about 180k in cc debt. 4 BofA, 2 Citi, Juniper, WAMU, GM Card, & Discover. If you look at my blog, I've put info there about the calls from them.

sigpic

Comment

Trixie, just read your blog, very informative. Our Wamu account just went to IC Systems as well, our first CA experience, wish me luck.

These calls really vary quite a lot, you can tell that some are regular phone reps doing collections contacts in their slack time vs the hard core pawn your stuff go work at McDonalds collectors.

Doesn't matter to me, no soup for you, no matter how mean or nice.

Incidentally, do you think creditors would mind if I gave them my phone number, and it was a (900) xxx-xxxx number?
                    Last edited by catleg; 01-30-2009, 08:53 PM.

Comment

I owe Advanta about 30k. These people are horrible out of all the creditors I have they were one of the worse. They will be nice on the phone but they are always saying it will be out of their hands if you don't make such and such payment by the end of the day. When I had my last conversation with them months ago I told the guy I was being forced into BK by them and several others because they wouldn't budge on iterest and payment amount. He said "You do what you gotta do" So I told him I was going to file and I haven't heard back since.
                      "I'm old enough to know better, but too young to care"
                      Filed Chapter 7 January 25th 2010
                      341 Hearing March 4th 2010
                      Discharged May 10th 2010

Comment

Originally posted by catleg View Post
                        If you can't keep up with the payments then it's probably time to stop paying them entirely. You should be able to make it to September no problem. Have the rates jacked up yet? I am about 3-4 months out on mine so far and just the annoying phone calls, which I can take because I know it's not worth sending money to stop them!
                        Chase Jacked me up from 5.84% to 19.99% because I didn't get my payment in before 3:00pm on the due date I forgot to make the payment on there website before I left for work.

I called them to explain and they told me to make the payments on time for the next 6 months then call back and they will reevaluate my account other wise no dice.

Then Citi decided to follow suit,from 15.99% to 24.99% my paynebt almost doubled.

I can't keep up with that.
                        Filed July 7,2009
                        341 August 24,2009 (completed)
                        Discharged 10-28-09(Thank You Lord.)
                        Case closed 10-29-2009

Comment

Yeah, either one of two things happens, either your payment is mostly interest, or if not, it's because they've doubled or tripled it.

Funny, my Advanta card is up to around 13-14k (from a limit of 12k) and the minimum payment is about 3k now. I wouldn't even pay 3k to settle it at this point.

I think I'm going to need to sign up for Verizon Call Intercept service soon.

Comment

Originally posted by BigBoy2U
                            ...I had some charges and BT's, cash advances I was worried about in BK. ... almost $8K I owed to Advanta was sold to a JDB. Who I have now put on ice. Sweet!! No more being able to object to the charges in BK...LOL...
                            BigBoy, Three questions for you

(1) Not sure what JDB is short for ?

(2) Once your original debt was sold, you are saying that whomever now "owns" your debt cannot object to how it was originally obtained? I've posted before that I have over 100k in CC owed, mostly from large and very large BT's placed directly into my checking account. I have worries about this but it sounds like if the debt is sold, then those worries disappear, yes?

(3) "Who I have now put on ice" - care to elaborate on what you did?

Thanks

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X