top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I sue the lender after reinstatement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I sue the lender after reinstatement?

I stopped paying my mortgage (not a freddie/fannie mortgage) about 12 months ago, in an attempt to work out with my lender better terms for my loan, as previous attempts did not work.

I recently decided to reinstate. I received a reinstatement letter that has all the typical principal, interest, escrow, late fees and attorney fees.

The attorney fees however were $5700. This is before even the first day in court. All the attorney did was send me a single letter at that point, which was a standard form letter. They filed the case, and probably did a title chain.

Freddie / Fannie guidelines for Florida (the state I live in) only allow $2250 for a foreclosure, which in this state can take a few years just to get through the system.

This attorney is charging me over double that before any litigation.

Can I reinstate and then just pursue my own suit against the lender and attorney for excessive fees as a separate matter? Does anyone know how likely my argument for excessive fees will be considered? I just don't see how $5700 for sending a single letter and filing a case is "reasonable".

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X