Looking for a good Texas BK attorney

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a good Texas BK attorney

We are contemplating a BK and have been speaking with a attorney in Washington State, where we live.

We are thinking of relocating to Texas to a house we have owned for over 3 years.

I have tried to contact some attorney's in Texas, but am having a hard time getting any to speak to me much.

I don't mind paying for advice, but want to be sure that the attorney knows enough about similar situations to ours, yet all that I have spoken to end up with a response of "Hmmm I am not sure about that one, I guess it might be possible, but I don't know". So I haven't found anyone that sounds sure enough about the answers to the questions I am asking to want to pay for further advice.

We are self employed
    We have been self employed for 9 years
    We operate a small construction company in Washington state
    We have 7 rental properties, 3 in Washington, 4 in Texas
    (I know two really badly hit industries)
    We have owned all our rental properties over 3 years
    Our attorney in Washington says we qualify for Ch 7

We are trying to determine if:

We should file in Washington State or Texas

If we should relocate for 6 months before filing and use our Washington State exemptions for one of our Texas homes that we would be moving into

If we should move to Texas live for 6 months and file there and see if we can use any Texas exemptions. It is sounding like this is not an option, but I can't get a definitive answer from anyone that knows for sure, based upon the fact that we have owned our properties for over the 1215 days, so we would not be acquiring a property, and could meet the 180 day residence requirement.

If we should move to Texas and use Federal exemptions

Problem is we have no equity in any of the properties in Washington, but quite a bit of equity in the properties in Texas, so would like to save at least one of the Texas properties as our homestead weather that be saved with a Washington State exemption, Texas Exemption, or Federal Exemption

We are quickly drowning and need to make some final decisions, however are having a hard time getting an attorney in Texas to talk to us much.

Does anyone know of a good knowledgeable Texas attorney, or can answer the above questions, with some definitive knowledge?

Thanks in advance for any help.

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X