Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

180 day inheritance

I am looking to file ch 7 in California
    My 93yo father with an aortic aneurysm could die suddenly any day or live several years.
    When do the 180 day begin (filing date, discharge date)?
    When do they end (date of death, date when I get control of the inheritance, Other?)
    dTimo

Originally posted by dtimo View Post
    I am looking to file ch 7 in California
    My 93yo father with an aortic aneurysm could die suddenly any day or live several years.
    When do the 180 day begin (filing date, discharge date)?
    When do they end (date of death, date when I get control of the inheritance, Other?)
    Filing date, and then date of death. If your father passes away within 180 days of the filing date then you have to report the inheritance. Hopefully your father will live many more years with the aneurysm.
    Filed Chapter 13 02/2006 - Confirmed 05/2006 - Discharged 09/2011
    I'm not an attorney. My replies are merely suggestions or observations, not legal advice. As always, consult with an attorney before making any decisions.

Comment

Yep, as was mentioned
      180 day starts are filing date
      The event that gives rise to the trustees interest in the inheritance is the date of death.

The amount of time it takes the estate to settle or probate is irrelevant. Many people get confused over this issue. It is not when you "receive" the money, it is the date that the person dies that is the triggering event.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X