Job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Job

My husband had a second interview with .................... last week. It went really well. Unfortunatelly, he got a letter in the mail today saying he didn't get the job. The letter said that the reason for the decision not to hire him was based on information in his consumer report. His credit report was enclosed with the bankruptcy circled. So he didn't get the job due to the bankruptcy. Which sucks. It isn't a job handling money. It is a database programmer position. The letter did include a number to call. He's going to call and see if he can appeal the decision but we aren't holding out much hope. We also plan to call our lawyer and see if we have any other rights.
    Last edited by JollyGG; 05-14-2007, 11:47 AM.
    Filed: 10/26/2006
    Discharged: 03/05/2007
    Closed: 5/19/2008 - Asset case due to balance transfer and income tax refund

You cannot be denied employment based on bankruptcy. Most will find another reason, if they actually circled the bankruptcy I'd sue them into oblivion.

Comment

I hear THAT !

Best of Luck, CMIYC !
      July 2006: Filed Ch13 :blink:
      Oct 2006: Converted to Ch7 :clapping:
      Jan 2007: DISCHARGED :clapping:
      Nov 2007: CLOSED :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

Sorry to hear that! I thought it was illegal to not hire based on bankruptcy. The fact that the bankruptcy notation was circled on the report pretty much says it to me!
        Filed CH7 - 10/13/05;
        341 Meetings: 11/28/05, 3/20/06, 12/4/07 (3d time's a charm!)
        Converted: 2/15/06 (to CH13), 10/15/07 (Back to CH7)
        DISCHARGED: 2/15/08

Comment

My husband plans to call at lunch to see if he can appeal the hiring decision as it is a great job. But as I said before we aren't counting on anything. We sent an email to our bankruptcy lawyer last night explaining the situation and asking him to meet with us and/or refer us to the appropriate resourses to deal with this.
          Last edited by JollyGG; 05-14-2007, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Be sure you "hang on to THAT LETTER and the envelope it came in with the date on it!!!!

Yes, discuss this with you attorney...... this is not a good thing..... and yes I would be finding out if the only reason I did not get the job was because of the bankruptcy.........FUR WOULD FLY!!!!!

Minny
            Minny

"It's amazing the paths that our feet sometimes follow in life".

My suggestions are from "personal experience" and research only. Do not consider this as legal advice. Each bankruptcy case is different.

Comment

I'd ask that employer what specifically was on that credit report

that led to their decision, and try to prompt them into admitting it was the bankruptcy. Like, for example: "I just don't understand it- for the LIFE of me I don't see any negative issues on my credit report, and I'm not past due on any account! Can you help me understand, point me to something I may be missing on my credit report?"......~

Comment

Did you owe them any money?

Comment

Spartan - Neither of us has ever had a this company or done any buisness with them

SamanthaJones - The credit report was included and the Bankruptcy was circled. It was the only thing in the report circled. However, my husband does plan to naively ask "oh, so is your policy to never hire anyone with a past bankruptcy?"

But, before we try to catch them in statements to use against them we want to find out if there is anyway he can still be considered for the job.

My husband has been in networking and support for over 10 years. He got his computer science degree 6 years ago and has wanted to move into programming ever since. This job would have been a great opportunity to make that move.

The lawyer emailed me back and he does want to meet and review the letter with us.
                  Last edited by JollyGG; 05-14-2007, 11:48 AM. Reason: add info from lawyer

Comment

We are no where near ready to sue yet.

However, I'm curious, since we are discharged but not yet closed how would that work. Don't know if we will be closed soon or not. Our trustee has our $357 of non exempt tax return to do something with still.

I honestly can't see us sueing over this? But, if we have a case it would seem silly to walk away. Who knows what we will decide. I also am unsure what type of monatary damage we suffered. My husband currently makes around $28,000 a year. The pay range of the new job was $30,000 to $50,000. The main appeal of the job was opportunitees for advancement. There is not a whole lot of advancement in my husbands current position. The new job would have established a work history in programming and allowed significant carreer growth. So I don't know.
                    Last edited by JollyGG; 03-16-2007, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Update - My husband called ..................... about the letter. He was told that the decision not to hire him was only a preliminary decision. He needed to provide more information and explanation and they may reconsider him for the job. So he explained that we got in over our heads, we looked at credit counseling but bankruptcy was recommended. We are discharged and we pay all our bills on time. The lady said that they would get back to him next week.

I'm not sure if that meant they would get back to him and tell him if they would consider him or not. Or, if that meant they were going to consider him and let him know if he got the job or not.

I guess for now we will wait and see what happens.

Our lawyer is on vacation, but did get back to us saying he would like to meet with us about this issue when he returns.

Hopefully he'll get the job and the meeting with the lawyer will be unnecessary. I guess only time will tell what happens.
                      Last edited by JollyGG; 05-14-2007, 11:49 AM.

Comment

It is not illegal to not hire because of bankruptcy. However, it is illegal to fire someone all ready employeed due to bankruptcy.

Comment

Originally posted by IN-DEBT View Post
                          It is not illegal to not hire because of bankruptcy. However, it is illegal to fire someone all ready employeed due to bankruptcy.
                          Our lawyer did let us know-

The Bankruptcy Code says:

11 USC 525(b) No private employer may terminate the employment of, or discriminate with respect to employment against, an individual who is or has been a debtor under this title, . . . solely because such debtor (1) is or has been a debtor under this title . . . (2) has been in solvent before the commencement of a case under this title or during the case but before the grant or denial of a discharge; or (3) has not paid a debt that is dischargeable in a case under this title . . .”

A bankruptcy case out of the Southern District of New York (Leary v. Warnaco SDNY 2000, 251 B.R. 656 (Bankruptcy 2363.1) held this applies to all aspects of employment, including hiring.
                          Last edited by JollyGG; 03-16-2007, 04:38 PM.

Comment

I am sorry this is causing you so much pain, JollyGG.

Hopefully, this is a case of "One door closes and another opens".

Maybe there's a better job waiting for your Hubby and it just hasn't made itself known yet.
                            Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
                            Discharged - 12/2006
                            Officially Declared No Asset - 03/2007
                            Closed - 04/2007

I am not an attorney. My comments are based on personal experience and research. Always consult an attorney in your area to address concerns related to your particular situation.

Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have declared you legally insane in order to gain control of your estate. - Woody Allen...

Comment

Well, they are in definate violation of the law. You have a great law suit and could come out with some major league mad money!!!
                              Chapter 13 Filed 4/03/06 :blink: 341 Meeting Complete 5/11/06 :yes2:
                              Plan Confirmation 6/16/06 :yahoo:
                              Discharged: 1/5/2010 :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X