Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This might be encouraging for some of you

I filed Chapter 7 on December 29, 2008.

I let go of two vehicles (credit union and GMAC) and a $65K boat (same credit union) and included about $50K in credit card debt. ($35K Bank of America, $6000 Citibank, $6000 Discover, $1900 to a different credit union, and a couple others that I honestly don't remember.

My case included a charge up of $6000 which was made on 12/5/2008. I just knew that they were going to come after me for it but to my suprise they didn't lift a finger. It was discharged!!!!

I bought my house in May of 2008 and kept the home and have paid monthly payments since filing. The only thing that happened was I was not able to make payments online and had to mail a check. Frustrating, but that'll go back to normal.

We received a $2200 tax return last month and were able to keep it.

Now for the next round of good news...DISCHARGED ON DAY 67!!!

This forum helped me a ton so I owe many thanks to those who answered my questions.

During my bankruptcy I changed jobs, got a new bank account, and turned my life upside down. Bankruptcy was the best thing that I could have ever done for myself and if you're afraid then I say jump head first into it and let the universe work its magic. I wouldn't have been able to take the job that I'm working if it hadn't been for filing.

I feel like there is so much I'm leaving out so if anyone has any questions let me know!

Thanks for posting your story. It encouraged me a lot!

Comment

Originally posted by jgw View Post
      Thanks for posting your story. It encouraged me a lot!
      If you want to see how I felt when I went into this a few short months ago then do a search for my previous posts. I was a nervous wreck and looking back it was all for nothing.

Comment

yippee!!! thanks for easing my mind a bit.
        From this day on I move FORWARD!!!
        Filed Chapter 7 on 3/20/09!
        Discharged 6/2009

Comment

do you mind me asking what the 6k charge was for? if it was medical then they wouldn't fight it anyways no matter the cost right? but if it was a 6k vacation, they would. am I right???

Comment

CONGRATS - Glad it went so smoothly for you....

Comment

Wow! Glad to hear everything worked out so well for you! Congrats!
              May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
              May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
              May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
              9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

Wow, KUDOS!! out of curiousity who did you do the 6k charge up with?

Comment

can't edit my previous post so sorry for the echo...

Hey just wondering if your 6k was a cash advance, balance transfer or a credit card charge? Oh and who was it with(Discover,Bofa, ...)

Comment

I completely forgot I posted this so my apologies for leaving you all in limbo! LOL

The charge up was a charge on a Citibank credit card for a motorcycle. I didn't know at the time I bought it that I was actually going to file and the thought actually hadn't even crossed my mind. I had a bit of a revelation after the purchase.

I've since traded the bike for a boat and that boat for another boat....LOL Free toys ultimately.

Now that that is out there it just goes to show that they might not know it was a vacation you charged...

Alot of the things I read on here scared the crap out of me and might of been more to be concerned with if things in the economy weren't so messed up right now.

If you have other questions feel free to ask.

Comment

As a fellow boater, what kind of boat did you forfeit? I miss mine but do look forward to saving up money and paying cash for my next one. I have a lot of friends that will let me boat-ho with them this summer and Im grateful for that!
                      Retained bk7 laywer 8-12-08, Filed 12-22, 341 Meeting Scheduled 1-29-09
                      Discharged 4-17-09!!!
                      Reason for filing: Medical, NOT irresponsibility with credit.
                      "Sometimes you have to fall before you fly"

Comment

Originally posted by Confused33 View Post
                        I completely forgot I posted this so my apologies for leaving you all in limbo! LOL

The charge up was a charge on a Citibank credit card for a motorcycle. I didn't know at the time I bought it that I was actually going to file and the thought actually hadn't even crossed my mind. I had a bit of a revelation after the purchase.

I've since traded the bike for a boat and that boat for another boat....LOL Free toys ultimately.

Now that that is out there it just goes to show that they might not know it was a vacation you charged...

Alot of the things I read on here scared the crap out of me and might of been more to be concerned with if things in the economy weren't so messed up right now.

If you have other questions feel free to ask.
                        did they make you give up the boat?
                        "it looks like i picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue"! [McKroskey, airplane]

Comment

The motorcycle was what I had originally bought on a credit card so I basically got a free title. They did not make me give anything up. I didn't tell anyone about trading the bike since I showed the bike on my original documents and they said "keep it".

I let go of an 07 Supra 22SSV and traded the bike for a pontoon first, then traded the pontoon for a Sea Pro center console.

For further encouragment I also kept my golf cart and sold it last month (pre-discharge) for $3500. They said "keep that" originally as well.

If you're going to file BK I think that right now is the absolute best time to do so. There's so much other turmoil in the world they aren't worried about the little stuff.

I feel free again.

EDIT: One more thing. I let a Tahoe go back to GMAC and I got a letter last week begging me to take the car back. LOL I tore it up and threw it away.

I don't know what I was so afraid of.

Comment

Wow, amazing. Please tell me your i the northern district of OHio!! I want your trustee. I wonder if this is happening more often because of the large amount of people bk'ing as of late? Or could it have something to do with banks taking Govt money, I know boa and citi stepped up to the Govt trough. Maybe they know its hard to justify going after the little guy for a few thousand dollars, after taking billions from us the tax payers

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X