What happens to my cell phone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happens to my cell phone?

I am current on my Sprint account and out of contract. I have a credit of $63(paid too much on last bill). I actually qualify for a $75 upgrade discount. I am currently on the "Sero" program: $30/month for 500 minutes, unlimited Internet and texting. The Sero program is awesome and i don't want to lose it. Plus its my only phone, I kicked the land line 8 years ago.

1.) Should I re-up so I am under contract(I could use a new phone as mine is getting old)?
    2.) How do you list them in the BK? (some list as a monthly expense, and some as a creditor.)
    3.) does sprint cancel my account or what?

Anybody thats experienced this, please let me know.

If you want to get a new phone you can renew the contract but it will still be discharged the day you file. I have a sprint cell card in my PC I did not have any problem with them. I still use the service no interruption.
    Yes you should list them.
    Chapter 7 07/30/2008
    341 09/17/2008
    Discharge 11/21/2008

Comment

I am also on Sprint. My attorney told me not to list them. He said they were like any other utility (gas, electric etc.) and should only be listed if there are past due amounts. He said to keep paying my monthly bill. Sprint does not know I filed and I have not heard from them at all. Perhaps other jurisdictions look at it differently.

Comment

Explanation Please!

Why would you have to list your cell phone provider as a Creditor? My husband must have a Cell Phone for his work. Are you required to list your utilities such as CenterPoint Energy (gas) AP&L (electric), etc.

I thought these were monthly expenses and only needed to be listed on your Budget. I have an Alarm System as my husband is an OTR Truck Driver & usually gone 5 nights a week. The amount is $32.50 and drafted from our checking account. Is that a Creditor?

Now, I'm really confused.

Luci

I think that is what our Attorney said also. Guess it differs from State to State District huh?
        Last edited by LuciluS; 04-13-2009, 08:21 PM. Reason: saw the above post

Comment

Thats my point, I get conflicting answers. I am meeting with my lawyer tomorrow. I will let you know what she says.

I am trying to find anybody that has gone through it already.

Iamtooborke: how long has it been since you filed?

Comment

In our district anyway, utilities, including cell phones, do not have to be listed unless there is a past due amount to be discharged. Otherwise they are only listed as part of the budget as they are a monthly expense.

Comment

I filed on February 27th in the Southern District of Ohio- Dayton. My 341 is on April 22nd--coming up soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Iamtoobroke View Post
                In our district anyway, utilities, including cell phones, do not have to be listed unless there is a past due amount to be discharged. Otherwise they are only listed as part of the budget as they are a monthly expense.
                I live in Toledo(born in Kettering) and I am in the norhtern district of Ohio, It should be the same. I got lucky on a referal for my lawyer. She is only going to charge my $695 + fees. I found it is handy to have a friend as a lawyer, as they know numerous other lawyers. Plus I send this guy business all the time.

I was most curious as if sprint ever finds out and if they ever do anything about a bk. I know they pulled my credit last year when I signed up under the Sero program(Spint Emplyee Referal Offer) My payment history with them(and all credit) has been spotless.

Comment

Originally posted by Brighterdays View Post
                  I was most curious as if sprint ever finds out and if they ever do anything about a bk. I know they pulled my credit last year when I signed up under the Sero program(Spint Emplyee Referal Offer) My payment history with them(and all credit) has been spotless.

If you have paid your monthly bill on time each month and with the Economy like it is today, IMHO I don't believe Sprint would deny the renewal of your contract even if your credit score was low.

Luci

Comment

Kettering girl here! Born and raised. Small world.

So far Sprint has not found out about my bankrupcty. You got a very good deal on your attorney, Brighterdays. Mine was $850 + fees. Seems fees around here are a lot lower than in some areas of the country.

Comment

Originally posted by Iamtoobroke View Post
                      Kettering girl here! Born and raised. Small world.

So far Sprint has not found out about my bankrupcty. You got a very good deal on your attorney, Brighterdays. Mine was $850 + fees. Seems fees around here are a lot lower than in some areas of the country.
                      Yes it is, and boy do I love them dayton women I am actually moving back to Urbana/West libertty here in a few months. Toledo unemployment rate is 14%, plus we are about 45 minutes south of detoit. I figure in urbana at least I have columbus, dayton, and cinci to search for jobs in. You know the old saying"its a nice place to visit but....) well toledo is neither. This place sucks!!

I was considering going pro se, as I just took a business law class(got an A), but I don't think I am that detail oreinted. I figure all the reading and crap you gotta go through, I might as well spend the 700 bucks. its worth it. Things are cheaper in toledo(cause it sucks) because nobody has any money. Our city is Bankrupt. we are 28 mill in the red. 10 years of my life I will never get back

Originally posted by LuciluS View Post
                      If you have paid your monthly bill on time each month and with the Economy like it is today, IMHO I don't believe Sprint would deny the renewal of your contract even if your credit score was low.

Luci
                      You would think that, but sprint has been trying to eliminate the $30 Sero plan for some time now. I have seen them do some really stupid crap. I started a thread over on slickdeals.net about my htc touch phone.
                      Last edited by Brighterdays; 04-13-2009, 09:12 PM.

Comment

I am purposely claiming my cell as a creditor (I don't know which section it went under because the lawyer did that part for me but I think it goes under the Debtor section with your credit cards - I just gave him the statement print outs) because I want it to be cut off.

I pay more than I want too right now and I hardly use any of my minutes. I have Verizon. I want to get a pre-pay later. Plus, I honestly want to get rid of the cell phone number because it isn't a local number anymore and, not to get too much into it, but there is a person (NOT a creditor) that has my cell phone number that I wish did not have it and I don't want them to call me anymore. So, I want a different cell number unlisted anyhow so they can't call me.

My lawyer told me that you don't have to claim your cell phone on your BK. You can still keep it as long as you intend to keep paying your bills. Same if you had a landline and of course everyone needs some sort of phone so you got have a cell or a landline. He said cell phones only be discharged if you want them to be.

I haven't even been late with a bill but I think with a cell phone if you don't pay your bill each month they tack it on to the next one (actually I think I paid a day or two late once when I had a Sprint cell a while ago and they just added the next month's charged to what was already due - no one ever called me to collect) and will keep doing that. I am sure there is a maximum or something (I heard it was 3 months of not paying and they disconnect but I am not sure)but it might say so on the Sprint site.

If you can afford to keep paying it every month and want to keep it, renew it. Sprint might find out some how that you are going through Bankruptcy but if they don't receive a notification from the lawyer (meaning you didn't list the cell phone on your bankruptcy paperwork anywhere) how would they find out? If you pay on time, I don't think they will care.
                        "I broke, I broke, it's off to Chapter 7 I go"
                        http://queenfluff.blogs.experienceproject.com/
                        1st meeting w/ Lawyer: 4/3/09 * File: 4/30/09 *341: 6/23/09 * Discharged 8/25/09!

Comment

ok if you are filing chapter 7 you MUST list all creditors The trustee will most likely ask you if you have. your cell phone contract is a debt
                          Chapter 7 07/30/2008
                          341 09/17/2008
                          Discharge 11/21/2008

Comment

Originally posted by TEW View Post
                            ok if you are filing chapter 7 you MUST list all creditors The trustee will most likely ask you if you have. your cell phone contract is a debt
                            I didn't list my cell phone company as a creditor but I listed my cell phone expense in my schedule. My attorney didn't question it, either. I also rent an apartment and the apartment complex also wasn't listed as a creditor, but yet a copy of my lease was forwarded to the trustee.
                            CH7 Filed 2/26/2009 (no asset)
                            341 Meeting 4/7/2009
                            Discharged 7/10/2009
                            Closed 7/28/2009

Comment

I wouldn't list your cell phone. I had sprint at the time of my BK and did not list them and sprint doesn't care if you go BK as long as you're paying your bill.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X