Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Out of work, out of options, into retirement

Oct . 13, 2009

Richard H. Freund had it all planned out: He’d work until he was 70 and his wife, a psychotherapist, turned 62.

Then, he’d retire and rely on several sources of income to fund a life making artwork and traveling around the country in a trailer.

Those plans were upended last spring, when Freund, then 66, found out that he would be losing his job as a computer programmer in the housing industry, and faced what looked certain to be a difficult job search.

Although the financial tradeoff was wrenching — his annual income is now half what it was when he was working — he felt he had little choice but to retire.

“At my age and in this job market, I didn’t even consider unemployment. I just went straight to Social Security,” he said.

Until now, much of the attention in this recession has been focused on the group of older workers who will toil for more years than they expected because stock market losses have put a severe dent in their retirement nest egg.

Now, new research suggests that a larger group of workers ages 62 to 69 could find themselves with a thornier problem: No job, no prospect for finding another, and forced to retire earlier than they, or their finances, were prepared for.

“Those people, the risk that they’re subject to is not the stock market, it’s the labor market,” said Phillip Levine, a professor of economics at Wellesley College and co-author of a recent paper looking at that phenomenon.

Already, there are signs some older workers are falling into that trap.

Mark Hinkle, a spokesman with the Social Security Administration, said applications for retirement benefits for the fiscal year ended Sept. 30, 2009, rose 22 percent over the 2008 fiscal year, to 2.57 million. That’s much higher than the 15 percent increase that had been projected because of the increase in people hitting retirement age. Hinkle said the discrepancy can be attributed to the impact of the weak economy.

‘They’re different people’

Levine, the economics professor, said it’s true that more people ages 55 and older are in the work force than at the start of the recession, but that follows a long-term trend. History shows that some older workers — particularly those who are better educated and wealthier — can be expected to stay in the labor force longer as they try to boost their beleaguered stock portfolios.

But at the same time, he said, a look back at previous recessions suggests that another group of workers — who are more likely to be less well-educated and poorer — may lose their jobs in this recession and not be able to find new work. For those people, forced retirement will be the only option.

“You can think of both happening at the same time,” Levine said. “They’re different people.”

Based on historical trends, Levine predicts that the group of people who are forced out of the labor market because of the recession will be about 50 percent larger than the group who elects to stay in their jobs longer because of the stock market crash.

Being forced to retire earlier than you want to can have serious economic repercussions. In addition to losing your full income and benefits earlier, a person who must start collecting Social Security at age 62 instead of age 65 could see around a 20 percent drop in their monthly benefit, Levine said.

“The bottom line in all of this is a lot more attention needs to be paid to the problems of less skilled workers when they lose their jobs, and that hasn’t really happened,” he said.

‘A terribly insecure situation’

When Richard Filloon decided several years back that he was ready for a career change, he had no idea what path that would take him on.

After 30 years as a salesman in pest control, he has spent the past few years selling everything from health insurance to cemetery plots. Most recently he was laid off from a job taking reservations for Hawaiian lunch and dinner cruises.

Now, at age 62, he’s decided that his only option is to start drawing Social Security early, rather than waiting until age 66 as he’d always expected. His first payment is scheduled to arrive Nov. 10.

The decision to take Social Security early will mean that he will get about $1,100 a month, several hundred dollars less than if he had waited until age 66. But he said he sees little choice because he has been unable to find another job. Although he does have some investment savings, it’s not nearly enough to fund his golden years.

That situation is quite common. A survey by the Employee Benefit Research Institute found that 42 percent of workers believe they will need to accumulate about $500,000 in retirement savings to live comfortably in retirement. Yet only 26 percent of workers over age 55 had saved more than $250,000 toward their retirement, the survey found.

After years of living what he calls an average middle-class existence, Filloon, who lives in Stanton, Calif., is now sharing a house with eight people and trying to scrimp wherever he can. He has no health insurance.

“This is a terribly insecure situation and I know that, but there’s nothing I can do,” he said.

Filloon is hopeful that he’ll eventually be able to find a part-time job, but fears most of the jobs he applies for are going to younger candidates.
    “Maybe they think that we’ll quit because we don’t want to work for $10 an hour, but I’d be happy to make $10 an hour,” he said.

Living on much, much less
    Last edited by AngelinaCat; 11-21-2009, 05:45 PM.
    "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Times are not getting any better.
    I am a federal retiree and get little SS as a result.
    Yet I see that neither Federal retirees or SS annuitants are going to get a COLA this year. If that does happen it will be the first time in 30 years.
    Just trying to get by here now.
    As a side note, I also see that some 14 companies are withdrawing from the Federal Benefits Health Program. If you are a member make sure you look at the open season package this year very closely.

Comment

The 62-69 age bracket mentioned in this article could have been expanded a few years at the earlier end. I am 57 and have already seen one FT position I applied for filled by a 30 year old. Others are in similar predicaments.
      "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Originally posted by kenshirley View Post

Well I don't know about that. After all the DOW just went above 10,000 again.

This must mean things are ok.
        The essence of freedom is the proper limitation of Government

Comment

No, that just means the folks who have money are still making it.
          That does not change the numbers of people that are out of work and broke!

Comment

Originally posted by banca rotta View Post
            Well I don't know about that. After all the DOW just went above 10,000 again.

This must mean things are ok.
            And it's going up some more before it goes back down. People have very short memories....
            All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
            Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Originally posted by frogger View Post
              And it's going up some more before it goes back down. People have very short memories....

Oh I know. Anyone want to make money sell bank stocks short.

Comment

Originally posted by kenshirley View Post
                I am a federal retiree and get little SS as a result.
                Yet I see that neither Federal retirees or SS annuitants are going to get a COLA this year. If that does happen it will be the first time in 30 years.
                Just trying to get by here now.
                As a side note, I also see that some 14 companies are withdrawing from the Federal Benefits Health Program. If you are a member make sure you look at the open season package this year very closely.

I agree wih you.

In Arizona they should repeal the sales tax on dog food. Maybe cat food also, but I haven't tried that yet.
                Golden Jubilee was a year-long celebration held every 50 years in which all bondmen were freed, mortgaged lands were restored to the original owners, and land was left fallow: Lev. 25:8-17

Comment

Originally posted by BigJohn View Post
                  I agree wih you.

In Arizona they should repeal the sales tax on dog food. Maybe cat food also, but I haven't tried that yet.
                  Dog food sales tax drove me to bankruptcy.
                  Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

Be careful of that cat food. The Chinese who put plastic filler into that stuff caused us to lose one of our cats to renal failure (kidney failure). However, it's not too bad if you like fish as Mrs. and I do. The dogfood now is fair if you cook it like corn beef hash and have some eggs with it. 'Hub
                    If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

I have a better chance of seeing a flying saucer than a Social Security Check, don't plan on it as retirement folks.
                      I am a Pennsylvania Eastern and Middle District Bankruptcy, FDCPA, FCRA and Foreclosure Defense attorney, information I post is based on experience in these districts. It is not legal counsel, consider it friendly counsel.

Comment

Originally posted by JimKutkowski View Post
                        I have a better chance of seeing a flying saucer than a Social Security Check, don't plan on it as retirement folks.

Everyone elegible will get there social security check. The goverment will see to it that all programs, pension shortfalls, FDIC and bailouts to the rich bankers will be paid.

Everyone knows that.

Now for the bad news. The money one receives will be worthless and younger workers and illegal immigrants children will be working 60 hours a week to cover it all.

That is more likely then the checks not arriving on the 1st and the 15th of the month.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
                          Be careful of that cat food. The Chinese who put plastic filler into that stuff caused us to lose one of our cats to renal failure (kidney failure). However, it's not too bad if you like fish as Mrs. and I do. The dogfood now is fair if you cook it like corn beef hash and have some eggs with it. 'Hub

How in the hell can you afford can dog food? All I get is a bowl of the cheapest dog food found at Walmart. Sometimes I get a little road kill added to give the food some variety.
                          Golden Jubilee was a year-long celebration held every 50 years in which all bondmen were freed, mortgaged lands were restored to the original owners, and land was left fallow: Lev. 25:8-17

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X