top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When does the IRS consider a foreclosed house not mine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When does the IRS consider a foreclosed house not mine?

Hi all,

With this new stimulus package and the offer of a nice $8,000 tax credit I figure I'd better get some answers to some questions.

First, there is a requirement that you not be an owner of a principal residence in the previous 3 years. Ok, that's fine, but can someone tell me when the IRS considers me not to be the owner anymore when my house was foreclosed on through BK7? Filing date? Discharge date? Sheriff's sale date?

I'm sure it's not the filing date which is going to be bad news for me. I'll be 3 years filed in Dec. The credit is only good for a home purchased by 12/31/09.

Who knows... maybe they'll extend it another 6 months and I will be golden!!

I am curious about this also, if there was more information I may have to amend my return.
    *Filed Chp 7 bk 10/03/07 *DISCHARGED 2/4/08!!
    CLOSED 3/24/08 *10-14-08
    FUTURE HERE WE COME

Comment

Just a suggestion...did you run this through a search on irs.gov? One would assume it would be the date when the property was transferred out of your name and a search or the IRS website or call to them could help. If you call, make sure you get the agents name and number when you get an answer and hold onto that information.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Arguably, it would be the date the deed/title was no longer in your name (probably the Sheriff sale date).

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X