Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Selling Home Post Chapter 7 and FHA

All,
    I'm still getting conflicting info on this so here is my question as clear as I can ask it. Am I able to obtain an FHA loan IF I am just shy of 3 years chapter 7 discharge and I sell my home (that was never reaffirmed) and use those proceeds as a down payment??? Or must I wait 3 years AFTER I sell my home the traditional way without a foreclosure or short sale? I was actually told I could not get an FHA loan until I sell my home and 3 years have passed. Please will someone tell me what is the actual truth? I knew there was a 3 year rule but I thought it pertained to foreclosures not traditional sales of homes. I was told I would be turned down for a loan because I did not reaffirm my current mortgage and that is treated just like a foreclosure the way FHA sees it. Please anyone?
    08-2009:Quit Paying Credit Cards
    04-2010:Hired 2nd Attorney;05-2010:Filed 7
    06-2010:341 Meeting (went very well)
    08-24-2010: Discharged; 09-02-2010 Closed!!

I saw your post at loansafe. In my opinion, you simply need to look for a better and more informed lender - shop the market.

Right off the FHA web site:

CHAPTER 13 BANKRUPTCY
    FHA will consider appoving a borrower who is still paying on a Chapter 13 Bankruptcy if those payments have been satisfactorily made and verified for a period of one year. The court trustee's written approval will also be needed in order to proceed with the loan. The borrower will have to give a full explanation of the bankruptcy with the loan application and must also have re-established good credit, qualify financially and have good job stability.

CHAPTER 7 BANKRUPTCY
    At least two years must have elapsed since the discharge date of the borrower and / or spouse's Chapter 7 Bankruptcy, according to FHA guidelines. This is not to be confused with the bankruptcy filing date. A full explanation will be required with the loan application. In order to qualify for an FHA loan, the borrower must qualify financially, have re-established good credit, and have a stable job.

FORECLOSURE
    FHA insured mortgages are generally not available to borrowers whose property was foreclosed on or given a deed-in-lieu of foreclosure within the previous three years. However, if the foreclosure of the borrower's main residence was the result of extenuating circumstances, an exception may be granted if they have since established good credit. This does not include the inability to sell a home when transferring from one area to another.
    For more info go to:

FHA requirements are structured so that loan applicants who have a good credit history will likely be eligible for the mortgage. Late payments, bankruptcies, no credit history, and foreclosures will adversely affect your chances.

Des.

Comment

Thanks Des!!!! I appreciate your input and taking the time to post for me!!!
      08-2009:Quit Paying Credit Cards
      04-2010:Hired 2nd Attorney;05-2010:Filed 7
      06-2010:341 Meeting (went very well)
      08-24-2010: Discharged; 09-02-2010 Closed!!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X