secure card for emergencies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

secure card for emergencies

Now that my bk is closed any suggestions on a card I could get for emergencies? I travel with my dogs and want to have something in case something happens. I dont want to carry that kind of cash and only can get so much out of my checking at one time. An emergency vet wont even look at them unless you have $650. I have saved $2590 for pet or y van breaking down. Any suggestions on a secure card? I could take limit restrictions off my bank acct and put in here, but not sure if that is best idea either. Not worried about having credit, just want to be able to get to my savings when I'm on road in an emergency. Had one this weekend, was carrying the cash but dont like that either.

If you are not concerned about building credit, why not just take the cash and put it in either a credit union which offers Visa or Master Card debit cards or establish a Paypal account and obtain a business MC debit card.

Comment

NFCU, if you qualify for membership, has an excellent secured credit card. It's easy to add more money to raise your credit line. It's also easy to take money out and lower your credit line.

BOA has a secured card. I included BOA in BK so I don't qualify.

Your local credit union can give you a secured credit card, even if they don't list it on their website.
      Chapter 7, above median, no asset. Discharged with no UST involvement.

Comment

I'm with magic13. Get an account with a debit card.
        LadyInTheRed is in the black!
        Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
        $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Originally posted by LadyInTheRed View Post
          I'm with magic13. Get an account with a debit card.
          If someone steals your debit card, they have access to all the money you have in there. You may get it back, but in the interim you're flat broke with nothing to fall back on,
          If someone steals your credit card, it will be inconvenient, but you will still have access to all of your money.

I believe only using a debit card is inherently risky.
          Chapter 7, above median, no asset. Discharged with no UST involvement.

Comment

There is a risk to a debit card, but it's a manageable risk. First, take precautions to make sure it doesn't get stolen. If it does get stolen, report it immediately. I dropped my card and somebody picked it up and used it at a gas station within a few minutes. I reported it right away and the bank credit my account immediately. Don't use the card on the internet. Keep an eye on the account and catch any fraudulent activity right away. If it's for emergencies, even if somebody does use it fraudulently and it takes a while to get the money back, what are the chances that an emergency will happen at the same time?

If the OP isn't comfortable with the risks of a debit card, how about a checking account? Vetrinarians do take checks.
            $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

I went to my bank today and discussed a few options. I am going to get a seperate checking account for my emergency fund with a high limit withdraw for emergencies. My other checking acct will still have the same low limit ($500). So I'll have two seperate accts with two seperate debit cards. The bank suggested the same as Ladyinthered as far as keeping cards safe and reporting immediately if something happens. They didn't know if I would qualify for a secure credit card because my bk just closed and I wouldn't have any fees but would have to have at least $500 in there at all times and wouldn't be able to spend it. So I think the bank acct. will work out best right now, since I am not worried about building credit at this point. The emergency vet doesn't take checks. My vet would work with me, but the emergency vets will not do anything until they get paid
              Thanks for the advice

Comment

I guess I'm lucky to have a nice emergency vet!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X